The Counter Space Issue

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I'm reminded of a post from @AnjaP in which she decried not having enough counter space in her kitchen. Anyone who loves to cook can attest to the fact that we NEVER can have enough or too much, but we are usually left to work with what we have. When I finally got the keys to my new apartment the other day, I noticed that I will have twice the space there that I have here. Which means that I will be able to keep my big KitchenAid mixer where I won't have to move it when I need to use it, as well as my big glass apothecary jars. There is counter space on two sides: on either side of the sink and on the opposite outer wall below a nice long narrow crank-out window. I can't wait to set my kitchen things up there, and can foresee some holiday baking happening within the next few weeks.
I love all of my counter space in our kitchen, its so great to be able to totally spread out when baking or cooking.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I've had situations where I have had to keep cleaning a space off to be able to do any serious cooking or baking. I won't have to do that in my new place!
@Trensue (5256)
Oh this made me smile! My husband divided our counter space in the kitchen! He took a sharpie and marked off his personal space! I know how to remove his section, but I guess if it is that important to him- it's his. Have fun setting up that kitchen.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's the best part of moving into a new place: setting the kitchen up!
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
We always love having a big kitchen to cook or bake in.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Just makes it more fun, too.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove It really does and reminds me of home.
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I am glad to hear you will have good counter space. This move sounds like it's going to be a good one for you. I would love to have a stand mixer, again. I really like having all my appliances within reach, but that's just not practical.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
It was practical when I owned my own home a few years back, as I had one long counter that ran along a long outer wall. The apartment I had after that had the sink and about 5 feet of counter space, and the stove was clear across the room, which I found odd. I never got used to it, but I wasn't there long enough to care. Here, I have about 8 feet of space, but it's broken up by the sink and the stove, so what I essentially have is broken areas. In the new place, there's about 6 feet of unbroken space along the outer wall, and I can't wait to do some baking there, as it's right near the stove.
Lucky you, the more space I get the more things I put on the counter.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck As I thinned my stuff out here, I took note of how much I did have out on my small counter space, so I am going to try to avoid doing that in my new place. I have a beautiful handcrafted cutting board that a friend gave me a few years ago, and that I will now have the space to set out without it being in the way.
Over the years I've got used to having only little space.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I have got used to it. It will just be fun to "broaden my range" again.
So glad that you finally have enough kitchen counter space. I have lots of counter space here, but I remember in our first house it was pitiful.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
So am I. Here, there is barely any, and the stove is set up in such a way as to take up more space than it should.
I have managed to do with the counter space in my kitchen although I wish it was bigger. I have there all the electric gadgets that I use all the time and none of the ones that I use seldom.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I don't like gadgets, so don't own any above what I need. That makes it simpler to decide what will go where and not look too cluttered.
@destry (2532)
• Kirkwall, Scotland
We are going to refurbish our house in the spring, and the main thing we want to do is double the kitchen size - at a reduction of living room size. But we spend 80% of our time in the kitchen
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. All you do is sit in a living room. You do so much more in the kitchen! Have fun!
The more counter space you have, the more you will need. I did just fine in a home with very limited counters. Now I have enough for three kitchens and my husband thinks I should leave all my big appliances out - no way! I'm not clutter phobic, I just like things neat.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I don't have a lot of counter-top appliances: toaster, coffee maker, and blender, and the big mixer. I just like to keep them handy and neatly set up, as the mixer weighs a ton and is hard to move around.
@Raelove I have that mixer and my husband puts it away for me. I could do it if necessary - but I have him. Besides, mine is red and it doesn't really go with my decor!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill LOL, red. Mine's white, so other than showing dust and dirt, it always looks OK till I put my glasses on!
That's great news! I'll bet you'll put those counters to good use. Baking will be much more pleasant.