Traffic from Stumbleupon

Ireland
I've added lots of links to these sites over the last couple of years. On Reddit I haven't got any likes, and on StumbleUpon I haven't done much better. So what's the secret to success in generating traffic from these sites? Am I missing something fundamental? Or is it just that so many people add stuff, that it is difficult for posts to stand out unless you add something controversial, wacky or ultra cool?
• Glasgow, Scotland
One of the things about Reddit and StumbleUpon is it doesn't take too long for them to ban other sites from which they feel they are getting 'spam' posts/links.
@bookbar (1618)
• Sudbury, England
This is very true and anyone can become a victim, Stumble always banned Bubblews posters, don't know about Reddit, even FB can be a nono on some!
• Glasgow, Scotland
@bookbar Reddit as a site can 'block-ban' sites easily enough - sometimes though individual mods will let something through if they think it is of worth... ;)
@Freelanzer (7773)
I think you got it - it has to really stand out since you are competing with millions of posts
I discovered recently too that you can be "shadow banned" on Reddit. So even if you post new links or content, it can only be viewed by yourself when logged in and not by other viewers.
@EugenesDDen Bi wonder I never got views when I published on Reddit
I don't bother with those sites at all.
Yes, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Some pages have lots of "stumbles" though.
@Gina145 (4006)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Reddit can be a good place for sharing if you write in one particular niche and find a suitable sub-Reddit in which you share your content.