By now you’re probably ready to give up....

eastern Oregon, taken by me
Centralia, Missouri
Everyone on here writes, maybe not a novel, but we write. If we didn't, this site would totally not be for us. I, and some others are trying to write a novel this month...I've made it to over 30K of the 50k of this challenge, and plan on getting that done before the end of November. I also want to actually finish this novel, edit it, and see what self publishing an ebook is like...but right now.... I was about ready to give up and I read this letter on NANO by a favored author of mine, Neil Gaiman (exerpt and link below), so don't give up! Keep on slogging! No matter what you goals are right now, just keep on moving one foot in front of another! Dear NaNoWriMo Author, By now you’re probably ready to give up......You’re past that first fine furious rapture when every character and idea is new and entertaining. You’re not yet at the momentous downhill slide to the end....Welcome to the club. That’s how novels get written..." Neil Gaiman (link provided below). http://nanowrimo.org/pep-talks/neil-gaiman
That's great that you're going so well. I hope you keep it up. Keep rereading that quote.
He really has an encouraging way with words
@msiduri (5749)
I'm not doing NaNo. I'm always doing it next year. Really. Best of luck with your NaNo endeavor!
why thank you! I am always glad I do it, right now Im ready to be done, lol
@msiduri (5749)
@Jessicalynnt I completely understand!
If you really want something and you want it bad. Never give up on what you want.
Im trying, its just past the fun point lol
@RonElFran (892)
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I'm not ready to give up on my novel - I've never gotten started on it! Actually, that's not quite true. I started a novel maybe 20 years ago, and haven't done anything with it for years. So, I guess maybe I did give up on it. Maybe I need to pull that thing out again and give it another go.
yep! I have some I wrote that long ago that I plan to sit down and rewrite someday!
@KristenH (24358)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Way to go Jessa! I'm right behind you with 28 K as of today. I'll hit 30 K tomorrow. Monday night, I'm going to do an extra 1 K for my write-in and nothing further than that. Stay tuned. I might do a sneak preview of my Nano novel's twists and turns sometime this weekend.
look at you, you are totally catching up! Ooooo, tag me so I be sure to not miss it!!!!
@KristenH (24358)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Jessicalynnt You've got it, Jessa. It all depends if my computer's cooperating with me these days. Maybe tomorrow....
@KristenH I managed mine, but I dunno on quality, lol
@silvermist (20097)
I have never done it. Go for it write the novel and then you can surely publish it.Best wishes@Jessicalynnt
NANOWRIMO is open and free to people from anywhere on earth, if you ever want to try!
@silvermist (20097)
@Jessicalynnt may be next time
@msiduri (5749)
@silvermist That's what I've been saying for some years now.
• Preston, England
very apt and accurate of him to say so and fantastic to see a leading author offering such encouragement for you
that whole piece he wrote made me feel better, he normalized and made fun of this slump, I loved it
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt Just what I would expect from a great writer like Gaiman
@arthurchappell he reminds me of Tolkien, layers. Not many writers have that kind of complexity anymore, or ever really
@valmnz (12756)
• New Zealand
I think you're doing the right thing by checking in with us regularly, as we can keep yu motivated when the going gets tough. You can do it. We believe in you.
It really does help, people care!
@valmnz (12756)
• New Zealand
@Jessicalynnt there's a little bit of pride at stake too, we all know you're doing it, we want you to succeed - no pressure or anything
@DWDavis (11542)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It's great that you are doing NaNo this year. I am doing it again, for the fifth time. Way to go reaching over 30K already. Would you like to be writing buddies over at NaNo? My handle over there is DWatRSL.
I am over there as Bellalyn!
@DWDavis (11542)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Jessicalynnt I'll add you as a writing buddy.
• St. Cloud, Florida
Yes you are right, dont give up you can do it. I feel like this often, but life moves on. At 35 years old sometimes I have to take baby steps.
as long as the steps are in the right direction I dont think it matters what direction you are going
• St. Cloud, Florida
@Jessicalynnt Very true, im kind of going through something similar in a way. i have to constantly motivate myself.
Over 30k is great, just keep on going.
Slowly but surely crawling to the finish line!
@Jessicalynnt You go girl!!
@Lucky15 (33823)
Thank ma'am for that line...about our goals. This fire in me have never left me, despite a year of being in a corner. It beats for writing, wven if i am busy with paper works, i always take down notes. Thank heavens that i did not GIVE UP.
good for you! It's something to be proud of, to not give up!
@wetnosedogs (1556)
That's right, don't give up. You are almost there.
I am...crawling...but doing so!
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
It is probably something that you write a little bit and come back and try it again you have come so far.
actually I have to just sit myself down and force myself to write a certain amount
I have not tried this yet, but always tell myself "next year". Maybe I will make it "next year". Good luck and good fortune with your book.
well you have have been swamped with the move and all, so yes, to next year!
You are doing great continue your work and do not give up.
I do love my cheering squad, I havent, yet anyways, got todays 2k done!
• Glasgow, Scotland
Yep don't give up. :)
I wont! Today was a bit easier I think
@DeborahDiane (22440)
• Laguna Woods, California
I know everyone feels that way from time to time,no matter what they write. Hang in there!
I know, it just makes it rough, even though I am not alone!
• Vancouver, British Columbia
Those that actually participate in NaNoWriMo are amazing. Thanks for the quote of encouragement and positivity. Soooo needed right now.