Pity or not pity those who get scammed

@scheng1 (24748)
Singapore
It seems that high education does not make a person smart when it comes to money. In a given year, we can read of people who get scammed and lose money in various schemes. There are gold buyback schemes, foreign investment scheme. land bank scheme, and other schemes. When I read about people losing hundred thousand dollars, I do not know whether I should pity them or not. If they have a hundred thousand dollars in the bank, why should they get greedy and fall for scams? It is obvious that a promised return of 20% is too good to be true. Even kids can see that.
I feel money not spent and just left in banks is worthless. There are so many people who just increase their income and as you say even become victims of spams just to add more money in their coffers only to be kept there forever. I am sick of that attitude.
@scheng1 (24748)
Agree, I am sick of both attitudes. if they have a hundred thousand dollars, they could have a very enjoyable retirement. They could have put in as down payment to buy a house for their children too. I think they are greedy yet do not want to do homework to check out the scams.
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
Don't you like to have a bit of savings in case of emergencies?
@Auntylou That is understood. That money is kept for a rainy day. I am not talking of that kind of money but money that is hoarded with the ambition to be called the richest may be among family, friend or wherever. I have known of people dying intestate keeping hoards in the bank \
• Lucknow, India
I agree with your title!! even I dont know whether I should pity these people or not!! I mean sometimes people who are needy fall to these scams and I feel sorry for them but when you are being careless or plain stupid then you had it coming!!
@scheng1 (24748)
Needy people will not have the money to fall for scams like this. Who on earth want to invest in land in other country when they have problem feeding all the mouths at home? It is always those who are cash rich, and yet greedy who fall for such scams.
• Lucknow, India
@scheng1 Hmm.. Point taken!! By needy people, I was talking about the little scams that are use to lure them and then screw them out!! But yeah for rich people, I dont think anyone feels pity!!
@salonga (27957)
I just wonder if the new victims are living inside the cave so that they know nothing about this. Why would they be victims of scam after all the widespread news about scamming. Indeed, this is all about the issue of greediness so that they don't use their heads anymore. No, I can't pity them. I just want to strike their heads so they will learn to use their brains next time around.
@scheng1 (24748)
Most of the scams reported in the newspapers affect those who have money to spare. If they can earn so much, and save so much, why should they be greedy? Their earning power and saving habit already make them richer than many others.
When I read about people falling for these scams I wonder if they have been living under a stone. Most of these scams are well publicised. Even if they haven't heard of them their common sense should tell them that's what offered is too good to be true.
@scheng1 (24748)
The puzzling thing is that these are people with successful career, and they are high income earners. if they are not making much money, they will not have a few hundred thousand dollars to pay those scammers.
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
If it looks too good to be true , it probably is
@UmiNoor (3535)
These scammers are not stupid. They know what button to press to get the victim to part with their money. I have a friend who was scammed of nearly RM1,000. And when she told my husband how she got scammed, I was amazed that she could have fallen for it. These scammers are really good at their job.
@scheng1 (24748)
At least your friend just lost RM1000. Those who fell into scams that promised investment returns usually lost $100,000. That is a very large sum of money. If we have this sum of money, we can semi-retire.
@UmiNoor (3535)
@scheng1 Scammers would not be stupid to target people with no money. They know who has the money and who doesn't. In my country, these scammers would target those who had just withdrawn their EPF (equivalent to CPF in Singapore) money.
@lokisdad (4265)
I think sometimes we don't look any deeper if the person conning you seems to know what they're talking about right phrases answer with believable answers and have some sensible numbers make it seem like the rewards out weigh the risk someone who's either desperate naive or greedy will fall for it. Besides you are more likely to believe someone who also looks the part who story starts off with them being the average poor Joe like you and look at me now success story about hard work determination pay off of course with a few failures before making it.
@scheng1 (24748)
Yes, that is true. Scammers always dress well, talk well, and generally look like a very successful and rich persons who want to help you succeed. It is sad that greed blinds the victims from searching out the truth.
@lokisdad (4265)
@scheng1 The scammers/con artist know how to pick their victims not so much by greed but more that they seek out people who know are in need of money due to money problems they promise a return on an investment and either they make good on the first few to gain more trust and a bigger investment or just hit them and go.
That's the problem with some people , the more wealth they have , the more they become greedy . So , they fall into scams !
@scheng1 (24748)
Sometimes I wonder why they do not use their common sense. It probably takes them ten years or more to save a hundred thousand dollars, and why should they expect the money to double within a few years.
@tallawah (9077)
• Kingston, Jamaica
People are stupid. The Jamaican Lottery Scam is the best example. How can anyone who has never been to Jamaica, never bought a lottery ticket, win? Every day my spam box is full of..."You Won!" "Dear Friend..." "The Bank of..." I don't even open them...
@scheng1 (24748)
Yes, that is true. People are stupid because they are greedy. They want money that does not belong to them, and they want money that they do not have to earn for.
@tallawah (9077)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@scheng1 All the Scams are based on greed and stupidity. We had two huge scams which were based on greed and stupidity.
• Preston, England
the scammers taking people for thousands are just as likely to fleece ordinary people of a day's basic wage or the last slice of bread they own - theft is theft - taking from the wealthy in that way can have a knock on effect for the people the rich do have working for them so in the end it is still a bad thing.
@scheng1 (24748)
Yes, theft is still theft. The problem is that the law sometimes protect the scammers. When you take part in those gold buyback schemes, and you sign a paper acknowledging that investments are not guaranteed, you practically sign away your money.
• Preston, England
@scheng1 very much so - a mugger can only get the cash you have on you when he attacks but a scammer can take every penny you own
@funtool (249)
• Sargodha, Pakistan
There is another type of scam, there were many ponzi schemes like zeekrewards which promised share from their revenue. But in order to be be member they had to invest money. Many people from poor countries got scamed
@scheng1 (24748)
When poor people get scammed, the amount is usually very small, but the number of victims is very high. When rich people get scammed, it is different. The amount is huge, and you wonder why smart people want to believe in such nonsense.
@louievill (19299)
People get scammed and i"m sorry to say this but it is because of their own greed, they want a fast buck for their money that at times they become blind even if it's already too good to be true.
@scheng1 (24748)
Yes, that is my view too. if they are as sensible in money matter as in other parts of life, and if they are not greedy, nobody can take their money away from them.
• Secunderabad, India
People want more money if they are happy with what they have they will not fall for these scams but sometimes poor people might fall for few scams thinking that it might benefit them but it wont.
@scheng1 (24748)
For those who have a lot of money in the bank, and yet they are greedy for more, they will get scammed. It is a fact of life that greed always brings bad result.
@vandana7 (66816)
Actually, not always. :) We have folks who have paid us that much. I am glad I backed right people, and they made it a grade in life.
@scheng1 (24748)
That is why doing homework is important. You definitely do not dare to give a hundred thousand dollars to a stranger who say that he will invest in a piece of land in other countries. If you invest in a friend who starts a business in your area, that is different. You can see how he manages the business, and you are not likely to give him all your savings.
@lady1993 (19613)
I guess some of them are just so desperate.. or some friends encouraged them - maybe, worse scammed them.. which is just sad
@scheng1 (24748)
If you have a lot of money, that means you are both a high earner and you can save your salary. I can understand that some people are lowly educated, and they fall to scams. However, when a person is highly educated, and have worked for many years, and still believe in scammers, that is real foolish.
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
scammers, we should already know what they're capable of doing.