Have You Ever Changed A Title?

cat, mouse
Uzbekistan
I used to write for the British site dooyoo. About eight years ago I decided to only use two-word alliterative titles. These titles have always something to do with the text of the review (as it's called there) and often allude to a quotation or a joke. I spent as much time on finding a brill title as on writing the text proper. Once a member of the staff addressed me as the Queen Of Alliterations which made me proud. From this experience I've come away with the conviction that when it comes to titles short and snappy is good and long-winded and explanatory is not. As a member of first bubblews and now myLot I've had to un-learn this insight. Once a member told me that he wanted to know what a post was about before opening it. I find this odd when it comes to followers one has known and learnt to trust for some time. I always read what my followees write. If I don't, I've overlooked their post for one reason or another. Anyways, I've learnt to adapt myself to the taste of the members here. After all, I want to be read and earn money. I'm not a one who tells the world in regular intervals that they're here only for the community spirit and honour and glory. Newbies, let me tell you something. It shows that titles do matter. Some time ago I wrote on another site about the sad fact that a cat died because it had eaten a mouse full of poison. I had given the poison to the mouse, so I had inadvertently killed the cat. I thought of the titles "Killed Cat" and "Cat Killer" (audio alliterations). But I felt that was a bit too short and snappy and opted for "I killed a cat". I thought that would arouse curiosity and members would come to my site in droves. Nobody came. I hadn't taken into account the great number of sensitive cat owners who must have considered me sick. I put my thinking cap on and came up with the title "Nightly Mouse Visits". Sounds sweet and cuddly, doesn't it? It brought me 46 clicks and 33 comments. Not bad, eh? So, if you aren't happy with the traffic concerning a post, a different title may change your fortune.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I've done that on Bubblews, and it worked. It feels "manipulative," but hey, we're all in sales just a touch when we're trying to come up with a "catchy" title.
• Uzbekistan
Yes, of course, we want to 'sell' our posts. Nothing wrong with that, is it?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE Nope. I claim to be down on sales and marketing. But it's part of everything we do. I'm even "selling" psychology to my students.
I like a lot more your new title. It is true that for an animal lover "I killed a cat", was a bit rude.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I have occasionally changed my mind and altered a title prior to submitting it, but cannot remember ever changing one afterwards.
@garymarsh6 (14417)
A snappy title sometimes does the trick your Majesty!
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I write a title, write the post, and then change the title. That happens a lot. But I think you're right. Changing the title could change the exposure and interest, and here, changing the tags might do the same.
@antonbunot (9547)
• Calgary, Alberta
I usually do to correct a mistake. Like my last post with the title - Okay, fellow myloters, let's move on! Since not all myloters were bubblers, I decided to change it to - - Okay, fellow ex-bubblers, let's move on!
@boiboing (12882)
• Northampton, England
Absolutely. If your post isn't getting any attention, changing the title and the first line can always help.
• Glasgow, Scotland
Sometimes I reckon luck has a massive part to play in it. Irrespecitve of how good the title is or how 'encouragingly alluring' it is... the best laid plans and all that... But yeah sometimes a change of title can make all the difference.
Yes sometimes it is all in the title and how catchey it is.