I fear for our children and even more for their children

Pacific sunset, my photo
Eugene, Oregon
I have only one child. At 26, and decidedly independent and career oriented, she may never have children. That's okay with me. The world we live in is not improving in any real sense. It is growing more violent daily, in part at least due to US misadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan and the "Arab Spring" that has turned decidedly wintry in many places. Then there are the environmental problems like global warming that many refuse to recognize, despite the warnings of our best scientists. The list could go on, but those two things alone are scary enough. People with an abundance of faith may think that the god they worship will smite our enemies, while our enemies think that their god will smite us. I doubt that either is likely. We will muddle through one mess after another until humanity is exhausted and starving, I suppose, then the strongest will find ways to take the resources that exist for themselves. I wonder what language they will speak? Do you worry about the world we are leaving for our grandchildren?
I'm not a worrier as there's no point, but I agree that the future doesn't look good.
• Eugene, Oregon
When events like the attacks in Paris happen, my mind begins to worry for all of us even though, as you say, there is little point.
@Marcyaz (36125)
@JamesHxstatic When events happen like in France we do worry what else those maniacs have in store for us.
it is scary to think of what our world may be like in another 50 years
• Eugene, Oregon
The next ten or twenty years is quite frightening as well.
@Marcyaz (36125)
It is scary to think of what are world may be like in 50 years if the world here is still here.
@Marcyaz (36125)
@JamesHxstatic That is also true what is in store for us in the next ten or twenty years.
@dorianna (513)
Having a grandchild who will be going off to college next year it is only natural I have some concerns. But I don't really worry. I don't think the world is that much more violent than it has been prevously. Bad people and horrific deeds have always existed. As bad as it is now, can you image living when feudal lords ruled the land, or when slavery was prevalent. Or perhaps during the witch burnings of Salem or the Crusades, or even the Holocaust. Technology has made the world smaller. Horrible deeds did not necessarily reach the ears of someone a few towns over, let alone the entire world. That coupled with the media's sensationalism of the negative aspect of life makes it seem a far greater doom than I believe exists. As for the earth, she is marvelously made. How egotistical of man to think that he could destroy her. No I do not worry..worry is negative energy which will attract negative results. I do, however think that if each of us take responsibility for keeping our portion of the earth cared for and our families raised well, be helpful to those in need when aware of it that such positive efforts will nullify the damages and bring positive results.
• Eugene, Oregon
When random people commit random acts of violence all those positive efforts mean nothing. These things are happening and there will be more. If you can ignore the negativity generated by people like that, it is a good thing.
@dorianna (513)
@JamesHxstatic I always question how people can ignore all the random acts of kindness..there is much good, kind and positive things done if we look.
Yes, I do think about the world that I will leave my son in.
• Eugene, Oregon
You can't help but be anxious for future generations.
@wetnosedogs (1576)
It is all a scary place. My grandkids are so young and so much more can happen in their time..
• Eugene, Oregon
It is hard to contemplate. We can only hope for the best.
@Shyamalaa (539)
• Udaipur, India
Yes. I do feel worried when I allow myself to. But most often I try to shut out unpleasant thoughts.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is good to do that if you can.
It is a scary world we live in now. I wish I knew how bad things would become before I had my children.
• Eugene, Oregon
I can understand that way of thinking in light of a clouded future, yet imagine how parents felt in the lead up to World War II. It was awful but the world survived. Now if only we could have a place to defeat terrorism.
@cindiowens (3921)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Yes. Most days are filled with that kind of worry. Especially when the news is on. Dreaded news.
• Eugene, Oregon
Truly! There seems to be no end to it all.
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
Yes, I do worry about the world we are creating for my children and grandchildren. Information technology was supposed to inform and unite us, but it may have fostered more ignorance and division than ever before. A pity, because it will take a united effort to solve some of the problems we face.
Yes, I was discussing yesterday with my husband, the terrorism, the pollution, everything sounds so wrong. We have no children, but we consider our niece like a daughter and we are scared for her.
• Eugene, Oregon
The challenges add up and the world has become far more dangerous.
@Marcyaz (36125)
Yes, you should we scared for your niece as we have no idea what is coming next from these terrorists.
@NeldaHoxie (1422)
Not really. I think they'll muddle through the way we did. We had our share of problems to deal with just like the folks that came before. I honestly think economically it will be easier. I really believe they will have universal healthcare and a safety net that many of us don't have and are struggling to find. The progressive movement will make their life a lot easier.
• Eugene, Oregon
I admire your confidence. Those things could happen provided the GOP never elects another President and loses their majority in the House of Reps. They would never become that progressive.
If I thought about it more, I would become very depressed. I would rather pick an issue and focus on improving It. Everyone should do that, just pick one thing, and help.
• Preston, England
Things could get very bleak in a few generations time - I would not want to bring children into such a World as more of our resources start to perish
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, that is yet another crisis they must face. The list is long.
@DeborahDiane (15864)
• Laguna Woods, California
This is a very interesting post. I agree that having a child is an act of optimism. A lot of Millennials are discouraged about the state of the world ... and a good number of them blame baby boomers. I wrote a post about it on my blog ... It is the top post, and I think it would interest you.
• Eugene, Oregon
I will certainly take a look at the Deborah. The boomers have not done all that well for the future.
@whiteream (3560)
More than I care to think about. I only have one child, a son 17. I really do try not to think about it because I only end up gettting upsett and there really isn't much I can do about it.
@Marcyaz (36125)
Yes, I do worry about what my grandchildren will have to contend with in the future. Will they have to take to living in caves like their ancestors way back and forage for food and then what good will the technology age do them.
@norcal (3272)
• Nevada City, California
Terrible things have happened throughout history. I feel very lucky to be alive in this place and time. People are at less risk from disease, and dispite war, climate change and terrorism, I think my grandkids will have a great life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I am scared to bring children into this world. The value system that I believe (knowledge for its own sake; helping others in need) seems to be important to a smaller and smaller percentage of humans. I don't like, nor do I fully understand, what I see.