French Polynesia Tahiti mourns the day after the tragedy in Paris

@poehere (17798)
French Polynesia
Here on a tiny island in the middle of the South Pacific and half way around the world from France. We feel the pain and the loss of so many lives and injured people. Yesterday after the initial news broadcast on all the radios here on the islands everyone ran home to turn on their TV’s. We sat glued to the television waiting word it had ended, but it will never end for the families who lost their loved ones yesterday. I too have family in France and a niece stationed there in the Army. I feel for her and her two young sons. She is fine but the state of emergency is pulling her away from her children. Here in Tahiti families will gather tonight in town to light a candle and say a prayer for the lives lost yesterday. Paris is strong and we will recover, but the families of the victims and people who lost their lives will feel this hurt for many years to come. What we have to be thankful for today is this. The Police of Paris were fast on the scene and saved more lives than were lost. If the fast reactions of the people and Police department hadn’t acted like they did more lives could have been lost. It is tragic to loose 1 life let alone 120. Tonight where ever you are in the world please light 1 candle for Paris and the people who lost their lives yesterday. Let the candle burn brightly and keep burning until it dies out. Image- personal image of Tahiti
• Pleasant Hill, California
More arrests have been made today, I just read..
• Denmark
I didn't know that the ties to France were still so close.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes we are very close to France. Many of our people here need to fly to Paris for meeting with the President at all time. Our small islands are so important to France. They call us the eyes of the South Pacific. When France sleeps Tahiti is awake and watching, and when Tahiti sleeps France is awake and watching. We are exactally 12 hours apart from each other.
@LeaPea2417 (16144)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@poehere That is so interesting.
@DeborahDiane (17150)
• Laguna Woods, California
Thank you for your post. I feel so sorry for the people of Paris. I will light a candle in memory of Paris right now.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. I know this got lost in all of the other reports but if just a few people read it. it should make a difference.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
hey why didn't you post much images of your island? can i see some of the pictures of your island and where you live?
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Hey if you would look around at my posts and comments you will find them. I post them in and out of posts around the site, my posts, and other people's post. Just start looking I am sure you can find a lot of them.
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
@poehere okay. I will try to look after your post now. Please do post with many images.
@epiffanie (8318)
We are all in this life together so we all feel the pain .
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes I do agree with you on this one. I am sad this happened. I am not sure how many families want to send their children back next year to school. I hope they will let them still go and gain their education. Paris has a lot to offer them and here it is so limited.
Yes, j'adore les parisiennes.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes Paris is a beautiful place to visit. I grew up in France but have not returned in many years.
@poehere Oh lovely! Where in France? Do you have family and friends there still?
@poehere Wow, that is a very impressive global track record! What did your dad work in that you loved so much?
@LeaPea2417 (16144)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Oh yes, now I remember Tahiti is a part of French Polynesia, of course you all have ties to France. It is awful what happened in Paris. And now, did you hear what happened in San Bernandino Calafornia, the two ISIS supporters murdering 14 innocents? The terror has come to America.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes it is called Tahiti or French Polynesia. It is basically the same. Tahiti is the islands and French Polynesia is our country.
@LeaPea2417 (16144)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@poehere That is very interesting. As a kid and now even as an adult, I always had a great interest in maps and where all the countries are located.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
@LeaPea2417 Did you find us? We are small and maybe that is why there isn't so much about us around. We are sort of a speck in the middle of the ocean. Guess it is easy to miss us.
@sofssu (14715)
We had a prayer for the nation of France in our church. We continue to pray for the families.. it is going to take long time for their woulds to heal.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes it will and thank you so much. I am sure everyone in France is so grateful to all the prayers they are receiving. In all of our market they are decorated with red, white, and blue right now and each balloon that hangs has a prayer attached to it.
@troyburns (1474)
• New Zealand
A shocking day for anyone with ties to France. I'm sure all of French Polynesia is feeling the hurt of these terrible events. Hoping all is well with your friends and family in Europe.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Thank you so much. Yes we do have family over there and lucky for now they are living outside of Paris. My niece is in the army and she is living outside of Paris.
The whole thing is so sad and I feel for all of those families that loss love ones.
@poehere (17798)
• French Polynesia
Yes I do too. We have a lot of our young adults there in Paris in school, many families have most of their families there too. Here we have a lot of our family living over there now because of the military or school. I think all the children from Tahiti in Paris are OK. I haven't heard of one of them being injured or dying there.