A Picture Paints a Thousand Words

By Miki
@Micmac (7701)
Why is the detective obsessed with a painting of a dead lady? Is he going mad? What lies behind the investigation concerning a murder of a beautiful woman? What happens when the lady's image disrupts his life as he spirals into a weird stage of losing control? Can he snap out of it? What do you think? Find out when you watch the exciting film noir classic: LAURA
Yes, that was a great old film. This detective obsession has happened before. The Black Dahlia was the case.
@Micmac (7701)
@celticeagle Yes, the obsession with a painting is a recurring theme in cinema. I am thinking of (although not a detective story) 'The Portrait of Jenny' and 'The Picture of Dorian Grey.' I haven't watched 'The Black Dahlia' but have seen 'The Blue Dahlia.'
@Micmac (7701)
thanks for info on Black Dahlia @celticeagle Blue Dahlia is a murder drama mystery film noir. Great actors, Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd, filmed in 1946.
@Micmac ...Black Dahlia has Efram Zimbalist Jr. in it I think. The Blue Dahlia is a good one. I'm not too into Noir films though.
@sugartoes (39261)
• Greencastle, Indiana
sounds like a joe kenda show I watch on tuesdays nights that's a good one to watch
@Micmac (7701)
@sugartoes I haven't watched the Joe Kenda show. I watch the Murdoch detective mystery show and Miss Fisher on tv. If you like a detective mystery that has a compelling story and twists, then you'll like the film noir 'Laura.' It's an old classic from 1944, and won an Oscar.
@sugartoes (39261)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Micmac not in the 40's I don't mysteries isn't my thing
@Micmac (7701)
@sugartoes oh, okay.. it's just a matter of taste.
@poehere (17720)
• French Polynesia
Sure this isn't Alfred Hitchcock sort of sound like some thing he would of done a long time ago.
@Micmac (7701)
@poehere 'Laura' is produced by director Otto Preminger. Yes, it does sound like a mystery film-noir Hitchcock film. Otto Preminger was famous for the film 'Anatomy of a Murder' with James Stewart and Lee Remick, also he made many thriller movies.
@poehere (17720)
• French Polynesia
@Micmac Thank you so much for the information.
@Micmac (7701)
You're very much welcome, my friend @poehere
@shshiju (10303)
• Cochin, India
I think Hitchcoke's movie is old classical thriller
@Micmac (7701)
@shshiju The movie 'Laura' is by director Otto Preminger. Which Hitchcock movie are you referring to my friend?
@shshiju (10303)
• Cochin, India
@Micmac Psycho is one of the famous one.
@Micmac (7701)
@shshiju Oh yes, I've watched Psycho numerous times also The Birds too. These are my favorite Hitchcock movies.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
Interesting mystery. Sounds like something I'd like to watch.
@Micmac (7701)
@cahaya1983 It's kind of strange when the detective has a compulsive obsession with the lady in the painting. It's seems so surreal.. full of red herrings and twists.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
@Micmac There's a novel titled The Red Dragon and one of the characters is obsessed with a painting, except that it's some bizarre painting of a dragon.
@Micmac (7701)
@Micmac I think the movie Red Dragon (2002) was based on that novel with the character, cannibal Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Yes, that was a bizarre horror movie with a disturbed character called The Tooth Fairy who is obsessed with a dragon painting- very creepy.
@kepweng (11205)
maybe the Detective is a Serial Killer??
@Micmac (7701)
@kepweng You have to watch the film to find out.
• Eugene, Oregon
Laura was a great film and there was a great song from it as well, which has been recorded thousands of times.
@Micmac (7701)
@JamesHxstatic Oh that song was very haunting. I love the instrumentals and the tune.
Is it Mysteries of Laura ? Edit - I thought it is serial that I used to watch. But seems like it is an old movie
@Micmac (7701)
@UR_Forever_Raja Yes, you are correct , it's an old film-noir detective movie made in 1944. A bit creepy, good plot and twists. Mysteries of Laura, I have heard of this tv series, but haven't watched it yet. I'll check it out.
@Auntylou (4324)
• Oxford, England
Will have to check this one, sounds intriguing!
@Micmac (7701)
@Auntylou It's a goodie! see it on Youtube my friend.
• Preston, England
not heard of this one before - sounds intriguing
@Micmac (7701)
Yes it's a great movie @arthurchappell Made in 1944, starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney,Clifton Webb and Vincent Price. The Director, Otto Preminger, won an oscar for this movie. It's a dark, subdued, stylish mystery murder.