Reflections About Risk Taking Behavior

Cat naps inspire daily reflection (Risk Taking Behavior). Image credit: Image belongs to BethieAnnie (me)
Dayton, Ohio
Are you a risk taker? When I was younger I tended to take one too many risks. I saw risks as learning opportunities. Now, I may take one too few risks, after being burned. Age and experience has helped me realize that there is a fine balance between the two places, one that can lead to success, excitement and safety. Swing out of balance and the excess energy can be harmful. Excess is a dangerous thing in itself. Risk is defined as exposure to danger. Knowing the meaning of risk helps define risk taking behavior. Under this definition, a risk taker is someone who exposes themselves to danger. There is good danger and bad danger, and a multitude of reasons why a person might put themselves in a dangerous situation. I have taken many risks, but await a day when I understand just how much risk to take. My brother is a fireman, he takes great risks, but does so for a wonderful reason. Others take risks which harm themselves. If I were going to venture towards the riskier side, I would need a good reason! Are risk takers show-offs, adventures, dangerous or just human? Photo credit: This photo belongs to me, BethieAnnie
I do not believe that all humans like to take risks, I am very careful, before doing something I always evaluate the risks and the advantages.
• Dayton, Ohio
It is wise to weigh the risks against the odds. I don't like taking risks the way I used to. I think people change over time. Some people tend to go through periods. Middle age seems to be oe of those times I'm not there yet though.
@BethieAnnie I have passed the middle age, now is the time of wisdom.
@gudheart (12807)
I am the same. I am not a risk taker at all and prefer to play it safe lol
I am not really a risk taker, but I have took risks and, done dangerous things in the past.
• Dayton, Ohio
We have past risk taking in common. I think it is normal for younger people to take more risks. Though I know risk takers who are older than me. I went bungee jumping, it was about the closet I'll ever get to jumping out of a plane. I didn't like it, but the risk did give me a thrill. Have you taken risks like that?
• Dayton, Ohio
@TRBRocks420 sometimes I wonder how humanity survives such risky behavior. But we do, so we must be very resilient creatures.
I am not a risk taker . I carefully plan what i have to do so that i will not be endangered or will fail . Specially when it comes to money , i am not a risk taker . I value my money that's why
• Dayton, Ohio
Now that you mention it, I think money is one factor that explains why I take so few risks. Money teaches us a lot, and just not having any is a dangerous risk.
@BethieAnnie Correct !
@shshiju (9050)
• Cochin, India
If you not take risks you have a normal life. But if you take risks there is a double chance like stock market.
• Dayton, Ohio
I have a friend who regularly advises me to invest it the stock market. I am just not that savy yet.
@kevin1877uk (35728)
We all take risks in on form or another. I risked everything by moving to the USA with my now ex-partner, it didn't work out (long story) but now I'm back in the UK with next to nothing. I give up everything here in the UK to be there, we just run out of money, not that the relationship didn't work because it did.
@epiffanie (8351)
I take calculated risks ..
@dorianna (513)
What a broad subject we have here. So many kinds of risk. Some of my friends would say I am a risk taker for living as a nomad, I have moved to many places not knowing a soul, nor where I would live or what I would do. Generally with just what I can take in my car and only enough money to get me through a few weeks. Is there danger? there could be, but then life is danger. Without risk, life becomes stale and boring. I don't mean to say everyone should be nomadic, but occasional risks are healthy and fulfilling. Do I fail sometimes, of course. Failure is simply a stepping stone to growth. Every successful entrepreneur will tell you they had failure, sometimes multiple failure before success. I am not as adventurous as I was in my youth, but I still take risks. Every change you make is a risk, most people probably take more risks than they realize. As far as things like extreme sports, not sure I would take risks in that category but you never know
• Dayton, Ohio
I went bunji jumping once, but when the rope snapped back I got the wedgie of a lifetime. I won't be doing that again. Living as a nomad does sound risky indeed, but if you find yourself heahy and fulfilled you must be on the right track for yourself. I do think failure is a stepping stone to growth, so theoretically, If you didn't take some risks, you wouldn't grow.
@dorianna (513)
@BethieAnnie Bunji jumping is pretty risky..courageous too..one I probably would not try :)
• Dayton, Ohio
@dorianna I would never do it again. No one should see the ground, head first, at that speed. Plus that wedgie...
@cahaya1983 (6922)
I'd say they're adventurous humans. For me, it depends on what type of risks they are. I'm typically not a risk taker, and even if I do finally decide to take risks I'd usually take a lot of time to consider it.
• Dayton, Ohio
I don't think it hurts to be patient and do a little planning with risks. It isn't always possible, but you want to set the odds in your favor.
@CRanney (451)
• Wingham, Ontario
Maybe they are a little bit of all of it. I stopped taking risks when I became a mom but had I not had children I think I would have taken a lot more risks. Just because I love adventure.
• Dayton, Ohio
Becoming a mom meant there were some risks I gave up. Strange thing was that being a parent brings new risk, then your kids get risky. That's the recipie for any grey hair I have.
@dodo19 (27177)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm not someone who takes risks often. It's not really in my nature. I might take the occasional risk, but that's rare.
I find that I take less and less risks as I am getting older. Not worth it.