Why are women always taking their clothes off?

@Fleura (5108)
United Kingdom
Nowadays there is a lot of indignation over the objectification of women. Companies are criticized for showing attractive women and girls as part of their advertising, parents are afraid to allow their toddlers to play naked on the beach in case they are spotted by sexual predators, mental health problems and eating disorders are blamed on the pressures women and girls feel to look perfect and live up to unrealistic ideals, and men are given a public bashing if they dare tell a woman she looks nice. So why are many women continuing to make the problem worse for themselves and the rest of us by flinging their clothes off in public at every opportunity? With the rise of social media there has been a shift in power, with the ‘stars’ now more responsible for their own content and no longer at the mercy of manipulative managers. Those who run their own successful YouTube channels or have millions of followers on Instagram can showcase their lives, their ideas, talents and achievements. So what do the women in those positions do? Well in many cases it seems they take off most, if not all, their clothes and waste their time manipulating their images or even their own bodies to make themselves look young, slim and unrealistically perfect, thus perpetuating the cycle that was previously blamed on patriarchal bosses exploiting naïve and powerless girls. And who are the people who follow these ‘stars’? Well in most cases it would seem to be other women, as far as I can tell. When I look at the news there is a mixture of serious stories and gossip featuring scantily clad or naked women – and those women have deliberately put themselves there. Naked men very rarely appear. Come on women/girls/ladies, use the new media and the power of self-promotion to do something worthwhile and show that women are more than just bodies to be gawped at! Otherwise you have no-one to blame but yourselves. As a welcome contrast, here’s a woman who, in my opinion, has spent her life doing something truly worthwhile and inspiring: All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2015.
She's been alone in total darkness thousands of feet down, hovered under a Russian ship as it pinged her submarine, and been charged by huge sharks. But one thing does frighten Sylvia Earle: the dire state of our overfished and polluted seas, something she
@WorDazza (8264)
• Manchester, England
Well it has always been said that women don't dress to impress men they dress to impress other women!!! Maybe the same can be said about undressing!!
@Fleura (5108)
I think you're right, it would be interesting to see data on who the viewers/followers are but I suspect the people who voluntarily waste their time and make themselves feel bad by watching all these 'perfect' 'stars' are other women in many cases.
@Fleura (5108)
@WorDazza That's exactly what I thought but I didn't want to say it in so many words. In contrast the men who are 'stars' of social media are known for other reasons than stripping off I think.
@WorDazza (8264)
• Manchester, England
@Fleura You know me. Words not minced in any way!!!
@Rollo1 (16662)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I have always said that no one will respect women and take them seriously until they respect themselves and take each other seriously.
• Lucknow, India
This proves that women are ready to use their bodies for their advantages!! Earlier the managers used to get blamed. I am not advocating that managers were right!! But girls have always agreed to show their body to get ahead in the career!! Now as you mentioned, that they don't have that manager thing going on, and still they do this simply means that it was always the fame that made the women undress!! I will like to point out the hypocrisy in this, that first they will show off their bodies in all possible ways and when men will see it, then they will comment by saying that we men are bad!!
@Fleura (5108)
I agree with you, I think now that women are more in control of what images they put out there it reveals that it's their choice and no-one else is to blame!
I think women need to have a bit more self-respect and they might endenger a bit more respect from others. It's all very well saying we have the right to dress as we like but some girls and women dress very provocatively. I don't think it helps our cause.
@Fleura (5108)
That's just it, you can't have it both ways - throw your clothes and say 'look at me!' and then complain that people are looking at your body and not taking your personality or skills seriously.
@norcal (3283)
• Nevada City, California
Why do they do it? To get attention. Not all women do that, in fact I would say that most of them don't, but it is the ones who do that are getting attention.
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
This is the kind of discussion which should invite controversy, but rarely does. Gender politics, scopophilia, art history, it's all part of an issue which seems to have endured for thousands of years and in almost all cultures. Have you ever seen The Hawkeye Initiative website?
@Fleura (5108)
No, never even heard of it, I just had to look it up. Yes some things don't seem to change. I found this website and was surprised to read about Phryne in 4th C BC Greece!
The following is a list from the book Uncle John's Bathroom Reader History's Lists.For most of recorded history, women had just a handful of options open to them: they could marry (hopefully to men of means), they could teach, they could join convents, or
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
@Fleura - I've bookmarked the link and will take a good look when I have the chance. Funnily enough, I have three of the Uncle John's Bathroom Readers but I don't think I have the one this article comes from.
• Preston, England
it can be empowering for a woman to feel in control as she takes off some or all of her clothes - I am in a burlesque society that often explores such concerns - some men perform too though I don't, at least not taking clothes off - some women enjoy the fact that they control the reveal rather than following the dictates of the male
• Preston, England
@Fleura if it serves commercial purposes it is easy to see why as many people appreciate glamour images and footage
• Denmark
Well argued.
@Fleura (5108)
Oh thank you!