How i escaped circumcision

@Missmwngi (9764)
Nairobi, Kenya
When i was growing up girls used to be circumcised in our area. Back then i was living in the village. This could have as well happened to me but thanks God i never went through it. It would take place when one was at the age of 13 and 14 after finishing primary school. Lucky me when it was a year to that time information started streaming in that girls are not supposed to go through it. I had two elder sisters who unfortunately had undergone the cut and when information came they gladly embraced it. They had already warned me not to agree when told to have the cut. My uncle came one day and told me i needed to undergo the custom and i said no. My grandma followed with the same story and i refused as well. Don't ask me where mum and dad were;we were orphans. ( don't feel sorry i am over the grief so there is nothing much to it). If forced to do it my sisters had told me to contact them and they would come and stand up for me. They were in boarding schools by then. They had taught me well and i firmly stood my ground without them. They tried all they could and i was never shaken until they gave up. I started the era of not going for the cut and i am happy standing up for myself brought a positive change to the community and saved the girls who were younger than me.
A terrible and beautiful post! I admire your bravery yet feel sorry that there are still those customs in some parts of the world. I´m glad that it is changing.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I also feel sorry that in some parts of our country girls are still made to undergo it and i cannot help but hope that help gets to them soon
@Missmwngi Sounds more like torture than a custom. Lucky you to have escaped the fate so to say.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@RasmaSandra The communities that do this today is for sure a torture,in those communities girls have to undergo it to be said fit for marriage
I am happy for you becuase you stood your ground of not having it . I didn't know that you have that custom .
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
It is over in our area but there are places where it still happens
@Missmwngi It's must be so scary and painful to undergo that .
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@SIMPLYD It must be considering what i have seen not to mention the problems that come with it
@boiboing (12465)
• Northampton, England
Congrats on standing up for yourself and I hope this hideous 'cut' can be eradicated.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Atleast it never happens in our area now but there are some areas where it still does
@Yar_Joey (3303)
I remember I read a news about girls getting circumcised. That is truly painful.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
And more painful that some are still made to go through it
I heard about this many years ago.A bit confused but you clear it up for me thanks. This is like they say terrible
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
What are you confused about?
@sofssu (14462)
OMG what a terrible custom. I am glad that you had the courage to stand up for yourself.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I am glad too
This is an absolutely barbaric custom. I'm glad you didn't have to go through with it.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
You can say that again,i pity girls who still go through it nowadays
@Missmwngi It should really be outlawed but I guess this is too much to expect.
@Missmwngi (9764)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@JudyEv Some customs are really hard to do away with them just in a snap,sometime will be needed
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
So glad that you didn't have to have this painful and barbaric procedure and that your sisters helped you stand up for yourself