Would You Time Travel if you Could?

@norcal (3269)
Nevada City, California
I know I am not the first person to ask about, or think about this question. It has been the subject of many books and movies. Many people think they would like to go back and change something about history, like killing Hitler or preventing 9/11. Some people want to change something in their personal history, like marrying a different person, or making a different choice at some other fork in the road. My dad died when I was a little girl. That one event has changed my whole life. It continues to affect it even now when I am nearing 60. It used to be that I saw that event as wholly negative, and I would have given anything to change it. At this point though, I can see how I would have grown up somewhere else, I would be married to someone else, my kids would not be my kids. What about you? If you could travel in time, what time would you go to? Would you change anything?
• Ethiopia
Changing the past have consequences we cannot fathom. It has already happened, and by changing it we can destroy the present we have now creating an alternate world. If we prevent something from happening in the past, presently, we would not have the motivation to travel back in time to prevent the something from happening. There are many complications we can derive from time traveling and it is awesome to learn more about them. For me though, if I can travel through time, I would go to the future where it will be safe, by going there, I already changed my future with the knowledge of the future that I can apply when I come back to the present. But with that knowledge I would have an edge regarding the events of the future. There are pros and cons with time traveling but it is fun to imagine what would have been or what could be. Kudos~!
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
It is funny that most people would go to the past. If we go the the future, we do not know what to expect. It would be interesting though.
• Ethiopia
@norcal If ever I want to go to the past, I would just watch, and won't do anything about it, since changing something from the past destroys the present. But by just observing, you can learn for yourself and will be able to teach other people in the present. Intervening though would change the present drastically. He he.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
@GopherDanny That seems to be the usual concern, but what if we could do something in the past that would make the world a much better place in the present?What if we could prevent pollution, or wars? Why is it so desirable to keep the present as it is?
@LeaPea2417 (15387)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I would like to time travel into the past, so that I could change my older son. He is not making wise choices today. I wish I could change him so that he would be making wise choices and living a better life.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
How would you do that? It is hard to change another person.
@LeaPea2417 (15387)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@norcal I know it is hard, I just wish I could change him.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
@LeaPea2417 I am sorry about that. Perhaps he will learn. My son too was very troubled. While his life now is not what I would have chosen for him, he is doing OK.
I am a fan of Time Travel Romance so yes I love this type of discussion. There are several things I would like to change about my own past, so I will get into those first. I would have stood up for myself a little more in my marriage, and even if it still fell to pieces, I would have been pleased that I atleast tried. I would have called or visited my mother more before she passed away, so suddenly. As for the more Romantic approach, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the Tudor Era. Especially around Anne Boleyn. Let's see, I'd also like to have been around Prince Llwelyn Ap Gryfyyd (I have a sneaking suspicion I spelled the last part wrong). More recently, I would have loved to be a first settler here in the States.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
Those sound like interesting times to visit.
@norcal Interestingly Dangerous, atleast for a modern woman like myself.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes, but hopefully you could escape in your time machine, or whatever it was that got you there.
@Lucky15 (33691)
maybe in 2000, when family was still complete, so that I can say to my parents how much i love them and my sister too. *tears fell remembering those days
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
How sweet it would be to speak to your family, and say all the things you wish you had said.
@Lucky15 (33691)
@norcal my biggest regret
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
@Lucky15 I'm sure they knew.
@meowanji (197)
I want to travel to the time I wasn't born yet. I want to see how the world was before I came. OHHH.. Wait, why I'm imagining the history in black and white lol.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
lol, maybe it's because of old black and white films.
@babaraimc (1339)
• Pakistan
i will want to go back there too, going back to our previous life is not fun
@babaraimc (1339)
• Pakistan
i dont want to change anything as i think i had a good time, Thank God may be this is because i am just 23, unmarried and with my family may be after getting married i will like to go back to cancel my marriage
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
Well, I hope not! Maybe you will want to go back to before you met your wife, so you can spend even more years with her.
@babaraimc (1339)
• Pakistan
@norcal no, i think i will like to go back so that i can marry a different person,,
• Calgary, Alberta
I have so many evil plans if I could, You know I can bring modern technology to an ancient world and make them believe I am a God.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
Wow, it sounds like the present would be a much different place if you could travel to the past. Maybe we are lucky that it's just a fantasy!
• Calgary, Alberta
@norcal Yeah the world got lucky, I would have invaded it if I can travel time.
@sofssu (14735)
I guess in a way.. I travel in time more often with memories.. Pleasant ones at that.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
We all do have that Avenue open to us. I am glad you go to the good times. Some people tend to return to things they regret.
As we all know, changing anything on a time travel trip is an absolute no no and not advisable! I love history, so I would love to see how familiar places looked, a hundred years, a thousand years, or even a million years ago. It would be risky interacting with people hundreds of years ago because of the risk of being perceived as witches or sorcerers.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
In most fictional stories about time travel, they worry about changing history, thereby changing the future. I guess my feeling about it was, so what? Who is to say that we have the best possible future? Maybe we could have changed something that would have made the world better.
@Dalane (705)
What an interesting question. Yes, if I could go back in time, there are some decisions I would not have made.
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
Do tell. Can we have an example of a decision you would have made differently?