What did you need for your first car?

I've been having a heck of a time coming up with some ideas for my oldest son for Christmas. He has a job and currently no bills, so he can spend his money however he wants. He buys new clothes and shoes almost every week. He can do what he wants. It's not easy to buy for someone like that. He's taking his road test in January and already has a good chunk of money saved for his first car. He'll be getting the car early next year I'm sure. So it dawned on me last night that even though it may be a month early, I can get him some stuff he might want or need for his car. He's a big sports fan, especially the NY Giants. So I got him a NY Giants license plate holder and an NY Giants steering wheel cover off Amazon. Aside from gas gards or other gift cards, what types of things might a person want for their first car? Keep in mind though, I don't even know what kind of car it will be yet and he won't have the car for at least a month after Christmas.
@PhredWreck (6051)
A really loud stereo
Funny, that's the first thing I bought for my first car too.. I nice expensive stereo for my $500 pile of junk! But he may buy a car with a really nice system already in it.
@CRanney (444)
• Wingham, Ontario
@katsmeow1213 LOL I was thinking this. I remember as a teen the young boys used to have huge speakers in their cars . But I see you got quite a few ideas - floor mats steering wheel cover
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
That is so true! The louder, the better.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
Bed Bath and Beyond has these heated car seat covers. They are 20 bucks. My son is getting me one for Christmas I can't wait to try it. I think they just plug into the lighter.
My last car had heated leather seats, but the car I have now doesn't have heated seats.. I bet that would be really nice in winter!
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@katsmeow1213 I have never had heated seats so I looking forward to them.
@fishtiger58 I actually didn't end up getting him anything for a car. He was looking at maybe getting an apartment so I thought he'd put off the car, but then he didn't get the apartment either... his life is sort of up in the air right now I guess.
@UncleJoe (9930)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Your title question, "What did you need for your first car?", intrigued me. Thinking back to that old '41 Ford, my answer would be, "Strong legs and back because we had to push it to start!" LOL
I had a car like that, it was a 5 speed and it wouldn't start unless it was moving. I've had some awful cars in my day.
@zebra2222 (5157)
You came up with some good ideas. Add a cool travel mug.
He already has one of those he doesn't use.. I think he might have lost it or something.
@boiboing (12424)
• Northampton, England
Basic tool kit, first aid kit, sleeping bag and emergency supplies......all that sort of stuff. If his first car is anything like the first few I had, it pays to be very prepared.
I am sure it will be a cheapo pile of junk like most of the cars I've owned and those things will come in handy.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I have no idea what a kid today needs for his car, the liscense plate sounds good to me.
@simone10 (21657)
• Louisville, Kentucky
He might enjoy products to clean and wax his car.