School Daze

@UncleJoe (10315)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
We have been in discussion about how different, and so much more difficult the school curriculum is today compared to what we learned. We all have wondered why today’s students have to take the long way around to get to the simplest answer. I quit school at 15 but at 34, I earned my G..E.D.. At 39 the opportunity arose for me to go to college so I could better my vocation. I went full time and graduated 3 ½ years later. That was where I learned the most important factor about education. Contrary to popular opinion, an education doesn’t make one smart. I have met people with multiple Degrees and still had no common sense. Did you know that P.hd only means “piled higher and deeper”? The only thing an education can do is teach us to use the intelligence we already have. To teach us to think in a manner that will help prepare us for the adult world. If you think about it, perhaps the experts who designed today’s curriculum is expecting this generation to have to solve more, and much bigger problems that today’s adults contend with.
@RonElFran (906)
• Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I think what you are saying is that knowledge and wisdom are two different things, and having the former does not necessarily mean you have the latter.
@UncleJoe (10315)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Exactly, @RonElFran I just took the long way around. LOL
@peavey (16834)
I'm not sure they will be able to solve " solve more, and much bigger problems" because all too often, they are not taught how to think. Solving problems becomes abstract. Real life is concrete. But maybe I'm wrong.
@UncleJoe (10315)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I think you're right. Most kids treat life like it's a video game @peavey
@Katlynn (377)
I have a friend who has a well-above average education, including several degrees. But, common sense is very lacking. Having knowledge is only as good as how you implement it. Wisdom carries you far!
I wish I had gotten an associated degree, then picked a trade school. BA degree is mostly useless
I have met people with a phd degree and they have no commone sence.