Sinkholes

@UncleJoe (9747)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Have you ever seen a sinkhole? Every time I turn around there is a new story of one opening up and eating houses and roadways. Pretty scary stuff. The only one I have ever seen first hand was when I was hunting with my uncle up in the Blue Ridge country. It had opened up right beside the railroad tracks where we hunted. It was so deep that we couldn’t see the bottom. I threw a big rock in and we listened for it to hit bottom. It never did. Uncle Edgar dragged a big limb over and dropped it. Still no impact. We put out guns down so we could both carry an old railroad tie and heavy it over the edge. Not one little thump. Not one to give up easily, I watched my uncle drag a long section of discarded track out of the brush all by himself. It wasn’t until he flipped it into the hole that things got real weird. While we stood at the edge, listening, the underbrush rustled behind us. We both jumped out of the way just in the nick of time when a big reddish-looking Billy goat came charge right at us and then jumped right in that hole. It was crazy. Just as we decided to leave, Mr. Zebulon Conroy, a neighboring farmer came strolling down the tracks and asked if we had seen Robert E. Lee, his prize Billy. “Sure did!” Uncle Edgar declared while pointing “He run out and jumped in that hole!” “Naw, that couldn’t have been mine!” Farmer Conroy replied, “I had mine tied to a piece of railroad track!”
You had me there for a minute lol
@peavey (16485)
Great story! You almost had me, too.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
oh no poor little billy goat! What a great story. I have never seen a sink hole although it would be cool to see as long as I wasnt in it
@cindiowens (3842)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Lol, poor Billy goat. I did see a real sink hole once while in Florida. Terrible.
hahahahahha, I think your nose grew! Sink holes are kind scary though