Does age difference matter in a relation?

Lucknow, India
I have seen this thing being a big topic of debate, especially if the women is elder!! Personally I don't see any problem with this topic!! If you really like someone, and you like spending time with them, the age must never be a factor!!( Ofcourse I am talking about 18+) But I see people constantly frowning over this matter!! What do you people think about this??
@PhredWreck (6051)
My opinion? Someone that is 55 isn't going to have much in common with someone that is 18.
• Lucknow, India
Yeah!! True!! But the question is if they are in a relationship, others must not have a problem, should they??
@Rationalwriter I don't have a problem if other people do it, but your question was actually what do I think about it. And I speak from a little experience, my ex-wife was 16 years younger than me, I'd never do that again.
• Lucknow, India
@PhredWreck Ok!! Thank for the opinion!!
@sugartoes (40725)
• Greencastle, Indiana
me & hubby has a 13 year difference between us & been married 30 years but I've never had any luck with guys close to my age. So as far as age goes it has SOME effects in a relationship cause as (my) experience hubby being older than me he "THINKS" older than I do BUT me being younger I think a head & visualize things more than he does. but if you you really want the relationship to work you have to work together in it you have to have respect honesty trust & faith in each other it takes work from both sides.
• Lucknow, India
A beautiful point indeed!!! Relationships never work if only one partner tries to take control!! If you both like each other, then you both will make it work!! And difference of thinking will always be there in two people, even if they are of same age!!
@sugartoes (40725)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Rationalwriter it takes 2 to make a relationship work it's a win or lose thing either your in or you're out you can't have both it's just the way it is in life
@troyburns (1430)
• New Zealand
It can make a difference, but I think it has more to do with maturity and needs than it does with age. I'm 12 years older than my wife, but I'm such a big kid that our mental ages coincide.
• Lucknow, India
Haha!! Sweet!! But yeah it is the maturity level of the relationship that makes it work!!
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
I know many happy couples with a large age difference. In one of them the woman is almost 20 years older than the man. They have now been married for 20 years, and seem very happy and well matched. The age difference was very apparent at first, but now they seem about the same age.
@sugartoes (40725)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@norcal that sounds like us we have 13 years between us & it took us a few years to build our relationship like it is now. we didn't see eye to eye on things but after I'd had enough & left after 4 years in the relationship & stayed gone for 2 wks he realized what was going on & when I came back we started seeing eye to eye he kept referring me to his ex & I didn't think that was right is why I left.
• Valencia, Spain
Hard to speak in general. the difference between 20 and 40 is big though, but 40 and 60 is nothing. Generally speaking woman are more mature then men. I do not think it's normally a problem, relationships can break for a million of reasons. As long as everybody Happy, Go for it.
• Lucknow, India
Totally agree with you!! A very valid point!! As long as the couple is happy, nothing else matters!!
@boiboing (12430)
• Northampton, England
Leave it to the individuals. It's not really anyone else's business.
• Lucknow, India
Very true my friend!! But people don't seem to get this simple concept!
Well, I think it depends on the maturity level of the people. I know a couple where the woman is 8 years older than the man and they have major problems because the guy still acts like a child at times... Other times it works just fine.
• Lucknow, India
Yes, obviously if one of the partner is behaving immaturely,, then it is hard to work on it but again that too is the couple's matter!! Outsiders need not interfere in it, right?
• Chennai, India
Age difference does matter in my opinion. I would not say that its totally bad, but the extent to which one is older than the other is significant in a relationship. From what experience i have had if the age gap between the couple is under 10, then they are going to be more understandable.
• Lucknow, India
Alright!! Just out of curiosity, have you seen any couple where the age difference between them was more than 10??
• Chennai, India
@Rationalwriter As far as from my experience, i have not seen couple with age difference more than 10 years.
• Lucknow, India
@everloving Alright!!
@Bluedoll (17069)
We have an expression. "age is only a number" What does it matter. This is true we can be any age. But also age does matter because sometimes people do not understand the other.
• Lucknow, India
Very true!! So, at what age difference do you draw the line??
@Bluedoll (17069)
@Rationalwriter That's true it shouldn't make a difference and a line of an age can not be drawn. Lets just say that young people and older people might not think the same way or understand each other as well as they do their peers?
• Lucknow, India
@Bluedoll Hmm,, yes this is a nice way to put it!!
You don't fall in love with someone because of their age. My husband is 9 years older than me and we've been married 50 years.
• Lucknow, India
Oh, this is a sweet reply!! And many congratulations!!
@Rationalwriter Thank you, we've been very lucky to still love each other after all this time.
@dodo19 (32867)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Personally, if they really love each other, then that's the important thing. They'll find a way to make it work.
• Lucknow, India
The perfect reply according to me!!!
@dodo19 (32867)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't think we have any right to decide for other people. As long as both are adults, they are free to enter into any relationship they feel is right for them, even if there is a large age difference. And (here is where people will disagree with me) even if some young blonde wants to marry some old, rich man - that's okay too. I am pretty sure he knows that it is his money that attracts her and she is obviously willing to marry him and be his wife, so they may both be happy with the arrangement. Love is not the only reason people get married.
• Lucknow, India
Wow!! You have given an entirely different perception to this discussion!! Thanks for this!!
Of course the age does matter to a relationship. I don't like my husband is older me a lot, such as 10 years. As I am afraid we will have the generation gap. And due to the big difference of age, we will have different physical situation. Such as you are still young and energetic, but your husband needs to walk with a stick. It will have an effect on the relationship.
• Lucknow, India
Thanks for the response!! Nice reason you gave here!!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
If they're both consenting adults, it's nobody else's business what they do.
• Lucknow, India
You're damn right, it isn't!! Loved your authoritative reply!!
@maapav (730)
It's been an old belief that has been unconsciously acting in our society. Age really doesn't matter, if two persons are truly in love.
• Lucknow, India
Sweet!!
It doesn't bother me one bit. I think people know what's good for them. It is not our business.
• Lucknow, India
Absolutely!! People must not backbite such people!!
@meowanji (196)
It's nothing but a number, even my grandparents are 20 years old apart. I don't see anything wrong as long as there is LOVE.
• Lucknow, India
Very true!!
Mike and I are 16 years apart.We do not have time to frown.When you love each other.That what count the most
• Lucknow, India
That is so sweet!! I wish you both a world of happiness and may you continue this forever!!
My girlfriend never wanted any kids. She finally when in her 30's met a man that was fifteen years older than her and they have been married for twenty years plus now and they are very happy.
• Lucknow, India
A sweet story indeed!! She found her love eventually!!! That's what matters in a relation!
@GreatMartin (4540)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
There was an excellent book written about couples that found when there was 5-15 years in the difference of ages by a couple the better chance they had!