Free Camping in a Vineyard Courtesy of France Passion

Bunbury, Australia
For those who may not have been following my posts, from May to November we were overseas. We spent a month in Ireland, bought a motor-home and put it on the ferry to Cherbourg from whence we drove to Bayeux to view the Bayeux Tapestry. From Bayeux, we made our way through numerous villages until we came to Tremont. Here we stayed in a vineyard courtesy of France Passion. This is a loose association of wine-growers, market gardeners, craftsmen and farmers who offer free (or very cheap) overnight parking to caravans and motor-homes. It is polite to take an interest in what they are producing and, if you are impressed, perhaps purchase cheese, cider, pates, honey or various wines from them. When we got to Tremont, we enjoyed a wine-tasting in their cellar and bought a bottle each of red and white wine to take with us. If you watch the slideshow, you'll see our van with some washing hanging from the mirror. We camped looking out over vineyards, next to a very ancient olive tree with an fascinating twisted trunk. We liked the wall plaque of Bacchus, god of wine and wine-making, also known as Dionysus. Behind us was the church tower. In almost every village we went through we would hear the church bells pealing out over the town. We rarely hear church bells in our own country but enjoyed hearing them on our travels.
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
'twas there any troubles gettin' yer wares back home?? i'd been in soooo much trouble! rofl, i'd been buyin' up honey, cheeses, ciders 'n the like 'kin to a woman possessed :) what a lovely view! big hugs!
We ate and drank everything before we came home so it wasn't a problem. Hugs to you too. Hope you're travelling well.
@JudyEv ya ate 'n drank it all?? i fear i'd loaded that motor home so full t'would'a been'n impossible feat, lol. aw, sure wish i was travelin', ms. judy. i fear that jest aint possible 's 'f yet. perhaps some day the health hiccups'll subside 'nough to make such magic possible. thanks fer the hugs 'n i'm sendin' ya some more. ya know, 'case those i sent earlier've worn off :)
@crazyhorseladycx You're making me feel greedy. We only bought little bits and pieces and ate it as we went. I hope I'm taking you on a virtual holiday. And thanks for the hugs - one can never have too many, can one?
How well equipped and comfortable was your motor home. Did it take care of all your needs?
Although we didn't pay a lot for us we found it perfectly adequate. It had a toilet and a shower. The shower was actually pretty useless but we could have a wash using a flannel and basin. Every second night at least we stopped in a caravan park and could have a proper shower. It had a roomy fridge plus a grill and three burners so we were very comfortable. There was an awning we could put out if the weather was fine and we wanted to sit outside.
@JudyEv There was charm in overcoming those inconveniences I am sure.
@allknowing We knew it wasn't forever and we're pretty laid back (at least we think we are)
@troyburns (1428)
• New Zealand
I love hearing about travel experiences like these. Do you ever read travel journals Judy?
I'm not sure what they are. I've read a few books about people's travels if that's what you mean.
@troyburns (1428)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv - That's it. I wasn't sure what to call them, because "travel books" sounds like I might mean guide books.
@troyburns I guess most of the ones I've read involve someone doing something other than just travelling through a place. I have one written by a nun who went to live in Cambodia, another of a girl who rode across Canada (no date in the book but the hand-written greeting says 1944) and stuff like that. It is hard to really get to the heart of a place and convey the atmosphere and feeling in words. Photos help of course.
What a lovely place to camp. I have never vacationed for more than 3 weeks I can't even imagine 6 months.
Prices were cheaper in April so we booked our plane tickets intending to stay not nearly as long. Then the wedding in September was sprung on us. We couldn't do two trips over and back so we decided just to stay there. We have no immediate family here (other son is on the other side of the country) and nothing really to stop us staying as long as we liked.
@JudyEv It sounds wonderful but of course we have the 10 grandkids and three dogs at our main home so would miss them terribly. lol
@BelleStarr I can understand that this would make a huge difference to your thinking.
What a very fun trip you had.
We were lucky that it all come together so well and that we didn't have too many dramas.
@norcal (3214)
• Nevada City, California
Wow, what a fabulous adventure! Love the slide show.
Yes, it was a special time. I'm glad you enjoyed the slide show. It's been fun going through my photos again.
@Micmac (9428)
Sounds like a beautiful place to travel to.
We saw some really lovely places thanks. Some I'd heard about but others we just chanced across on our travels.
Wonderful how easy it is to share our experiences via YouTube. Merci.
I don't even have to psyche myself up now to create one. So many things we just need a bit of practice with until it becomes second nature. And you're welcome.
The motorhome looks quite large. I remember touring with a girlfriend in one about half that size, when I was young. It was fun. That looks a great place to camp.
We found some wonderful camping places. In hindsight, one that fitted in an 'ordinary' parking spot would have been more convenient. And we ran into (not literally!) a lot of height barriers too - designed to keep the travellers out I think. You would have had a wonderful time with your friend I bet. How's the tan progressing?
@JudyEv The tan is actually progressing fine, but we're being careful not to overdo it.
@jaboUK It is easy to overdo, isn't it? We were surprised to see so few people overseas wearing hats. Then we found out the UV rating was 1 or 2 while in Australia it might be 15 or 16. The hole in the ozone seems to be directly over Australia.
@shellyjaneo (1091)
I've never been to Ireland and living in the wales I really don't have any excuse it is somewhere I have always wanted to visit. I am sure I will one day x
I guess in many ways it isn't much different to Wales but it is certainly very pretty. We did a day's drive through Wales and loved it. We left from Bristol and went through various towns including Hay-on-Wye. At the end of our stay in England we went through Wales to Holyhead to catch the ferry.
@JudyEv One this Wales has in abundance is pretty little Villages, I live in England now and I definitely miss home. Although I live in the countryside now it's not the same it doesn't have the same feel, I think Ireland would feel more like home to me than England, probably the Celtic roots x
@shellyjaneo We mostly dodged the big cities. Apart from the tourist attractions, one big city is much like another. And parking was always an issue with the van. In hindsight we should have bought something a bit smaller.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I'd have no trouble being persuaded to buy some of their produce! What a wonderful experience.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv but you had a wonderful time, so that is the main thing!
@valmnz For sure, no complaints at all. But if we want to go again, we'd need to watch our pennies. We saved a lot doing it the way we did but it wasn't quite as cheap as living at home.
@PainsOnSlate (20508)
That was a very cool Bacchus. Great photos, the vineyard was beautiful and the plants to healthy. We love to visit different wineries and when hubby was selling Barrels we did that often. We often stayed in vineyard small hotels and B&B's in the Finger Lakes of New York State. I love your laundry!!
It was a lovely place to stay - very peaceful. I often dried socks on the dashboard as we went along :) and the bathroom would be festooned with undies or laying in patches of sun on a towel on the bed.
@GreatMartin (5701)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I really wish I understood why but I have never had a desire to go to the middle of the world--I've been to South America, all of Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Canada, every State in the USA but never wanted to go to Ireland, England (where my Dad is from), the Middle East--oh yes I did want to go to Africa but that's another story! I like reading about places I haven't been!
It's funny what motivates different people. America for some reason has never been on our list of priorities although, of course, if money wasn't an issue we'd go everywhere. Maybe I see America as much like us although England, Ireland are as Anglo-Saxon as you get but I think I was the UK as green and cool with lots of ancient history. And I don't know that Egypt would have high on the list if it wasn't for having a niece living there.