Daughter Is Buying Me Books to Read

Seems someone locally is slowly donating all their Jack Reacher novels to the thrift shop. Two weeks in a row she has stumbled across a fresh used copy and claimed it for my library. I'd never heard of the character or Lee Child the author until after my oldest sister read my book and noted that there were a lot of similarities between our main characters. I was intrigued and went to the local library to check one out. I like his writing. For me it is kind of a study to figure out how he does what he does. Personally I like Mark Rathman more than Jack Reacher but of course I'm biased. If someone told me that Lee Child is a better writer I wouldn't argue.
• Anaheim, California
The Jack Reacher books are fun to read and despite all the nonsense about the casting, I thought Tom Cruise did a good job with the film. it's funny, I've been thinking about getting into Rathman. Have you ever read any of Russell Blake's novels?
No I haven't but I really haven't got much time for reading. I spent far too much time reading "Without Fail" today. I need to work on finishing the sequel to my first book and pitch it to my publisher. I wouldn't put myself in the same category as the bestseller authors out there but I think it's a good story. I only saw the clips from the movie. I'm told it was pretty good even from my sister who likes the books. I do have a tough time having a five foot eight Tom Cruise playing a character who in the book is six foot five and two hundred fifty pounds. Hollywood doesn't pay my opinion much attention though and I don't think it really matters.
• Anaheim, California
@koopharper I'll have to check out your novels.
@TimBurWrites That's always appreciated.
@Rosekitty (19500)
• San Marcos, Texas
The name sounds familiar but don't think i ever read one of the books..am curious now
Lee Child and his novels are pretty well known especially since the Jack Reacher movie came out.
@Rosekitty (19500)
• San Marcos, Texas
@koopharper haven't heard of the movie either..guess i am under a rock..hahah
@Rosekitty It starred Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. A lot of fans objected to his selection because he isn't nearly as physically imposing as the character in the novels.
@dodo19 (26669)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Lee Child does seem to ring a bell, but I haven't read anything from this author. I may just pick something up. I hope you enjoy the books your daughter brings you.
I do enjoy the books she selects for me. She knows what I like and what I would read with an eye to improving my own work.
@dodo19 (26669)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@koopharper glad to hear. I hope it helps your writing. Reading does help my writing I find.
@dodo19 In general good writers tend to do a lot of reading themselves.
@softbabe44 (5963)
• Vancouver, Washington
That's good never can have too many books its came up with many different things to read to see if it holds one's interest.
I finished the first one. Have another in my backpack for work. I'll try and hold off for awhile too many things don't get done when I'm reading.
• Vancouver, Washington
@koopharper Books are a great way to destress.
I cannot remember that I ever read a book written by Jack Reacher.
The author is Lee Child but I think most people know the novels by the main character Jack Reacher. If you like thrillers, it's a good series.
@koopharper Thanks for the info, I will check if I can find something to read and see if I like it.
@ElicBxn (59942)
I've never read any of Child's (actually Jim Grant's books.) Not really my kind of reading.
Not for everyone but I could say that about any author.
II am a voracious reader but I haven't read any books by these authors you've mentioned. What genre these authors write? @koopharper I like books from Victoria Holt, David Levithan ,Stephenie Meyer and Mitch Albom
I've heard of the authors you mention here but haven't read any of them yet. Lee Child write thrillers. Mark Rathman is the hero in the book I had published under my pen name Pico Triano. If you like that type of book, I'm sure you'd enjoy his work and hope you would enjoy mine.
@scheng1 (24970)
I have read Lee Child's books but not Mark Rathman, so it is not fair for me to comment. I only know that there is no way you can get me to live like Jack Reacher. No matter how much I hate waking up early in the morning to go to work, I still like to return to my own place, my own bed and my own computer. I do not think I can live with just a pair of shoes on my feet, and a toothpaste in my pocket too. That is the kind of life that I never even want to try for a day.
You'd have only heard of Mark Rathman had you read my novel. I'm still pretty unknown. I write under the pen name Pico Triano.
@Lucky15 (33598)
Have to chechlk jack reacher. Am curious with the book
They are good reads. I don't like everything he does in them but I'm allowed to have my own opinion. As a writer I still don't know whose work I might be comparable to.
@PhredWreck (6096)
I've read three or four of those novels by Child, I am a big library fan.
Local public library here doesn't impress me much. Very limited selection and the regular librarian is an older fellow who's scared of people. Mount Allison University library is about four blocks away. That one is impressive.
@Marcyaz (36147)
I read a lot but have never heard of these authors. Glad your daughter buys books you like to read.
@peavey (15394)
I don't think I have ever read anything by that author. I'll have to check it out.