What is your thought on time zones?

@mawdest (1510)
Orillia, Ontario
I know this may be kind of a strange question.. But I was wondering what everyone thinks about time zones. To delve in to it further, and a bit more specific (atleast for the moment anyways) what do you think about time zones in North America, and how they vary so much between countries at times? For example, the best way for me to explain what I am talking about, at first is... Let me use the Eastern time zone versus the Central time zone. In Ontario, Canada.. there IS a part of Ontario (humongous province by the way) that happens to be in the Central time zone, however, it is way way over from the line that matches up with way how far east it goes in to the starting states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc etc. I could go on about this crazy boring things about time zones and geography and all but I will not! Haha. However, I do also have one final thought on time zones, when compared from Canada and the US that I have noticed... There are a few New England states that are way up there in the north east that are quite close to New Brunswick in Canada, which New Brunswick happened to be in Atlantic time (for those of you who do not know, that is another time zone that is ahead one hour from Eastern time zone!) But my point about all that is.. I almost feel like those states should almost be in that time zone, but that would probably be very inconvenient to change now... I guess that was what the whole point of time zones were for to begin with.. Convenience!! Anyways, what are the rest of all of your thoughts on everything with time zones, if you have any feedback at all? Thanks!
@boiboing (12465)
• Northampton, England
I always think it's an anomaly that Spain is in the same zone as France and not the same as UK and Portugal, The Greenwich Meridian runs straight through eastern Spain yet they align with the rest of Europe.
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
That is a very good point! I am surprised I did not think about mentioning that in the opening topic. I guess I was more focused on time zones based in Canada/US.
@boiboing (12465)
• Northampton, England
@mawdest Don't you have a bizarre zone that's 15 minutes ahead in Newfoundland or something odd like that?
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
@boiboing In Canada, the time zones go as follows: Eastern Time, Central Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time, then there is also Atlantic Time, AND Newfoundland Time zone (not sure if there is an actual name for it or not but that is what I will call it, haha) Anyways, all I know is that my time zone, Eastern is 5 hours behind England and 6 behind mainland Europe. However, to answer your question... Newfoundland time is actually a half hour ahead of Atlantic time, or an hour and a half ahead of where I am, in the Eastern time zone. I hope that all made sense! So no, it is not 15 minutes, it is 30 minutes, but you were quite close!
@suzzy3 (8362)
I think the time zones are different because some of the countries are so big the sun comes up at different times. Also money transfers and business if everyone had the same time zone the web would be so busy it could not cope. Some states would be dark at 1pm in the after noon while some places would be light at 1am in the morning. Just my own thoughts.
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
Yes, definitely, I agree with you suzzy! I just always found it interesting how far off parts of Canada differed from the United States in their time zone lines, between the Eastern and Central time zone, for example.
@suzzy3 (8362)
@mawdest We don't have different time zones in the UK I think most of Europe are only an hour in front.
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
@suzzy3 Oh yes, I understand that. Thank you for the clarification, nonetheless!
The time zones do not bother me much, it's not a topic that I think about very often.
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
I do not think about time zones that often either, but it just happened to pop in to my head, so I thought I would make it a topic, haha. Fair enough, though!
I'm glad I live in Central Europe in a country with only one time zone.
@mawdest (1510)
• Orillia, Ontario
Yes, that must be nice, it is a lot more easy and convenient that way, isn't it? :)