My Dogs are Going Crazy

Portland, Connecticut
I am sitting here MyLotting and watching the Today Show and my dogs are going crazy barking up in the kitchen. I know what that means, my husband has gotten up and is giving them their soft food. He opens a bag and splits it between the 3 of them. They know this routine and they go crazy when they see him get up, they know that their food is coming. Do you have a routine with your pets that they understand and expect?
@Rollo1 (16650)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The guinea pigs are two rooms away but hear me open the refrigerator door and go crazy with squealing. It gets worse if I cut up anything on the cutting board, they think it's their carrot. They get excited at the rustle of plastic shopping bags. Everything in their world relates to food.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think the little dogs are pretty much the same, they run up and stare at their treats as soon as they come in from doing their business.
@BelleStarr @Rollo1 It seems most animals' minds hinge around food - when is it coming, what am I getting, I want more, I don't like this, etc.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv lol sort of like my husband!!
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Absolutely. Our dog does, the food dance, as my Mom calls it, when she sees my Mom in the morning, she will swipe her tail all over the floor, wiggle her butt, and then dance on her back paws. When she is ready to go for her walk she will go lie in front of the cupboard that has her lead in it, and when we open the cupboard she will fetch her lead out of it and drop it at our feet. :-)
• Portland, Connecticut
lol That is so cute. My dogs also go crazy when they see their leashes, Beau the oldest will put the lead from the other dogs in his mouth and lead them.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@BelleStarr , oh, that is so sweet! Way to go for Beau!
• Portland, Connecticut
@bluesa I always tell him, "you the man" the other two dogs are girls. haha
@gudheart (12754)
Aww they love their food then :D I don't have pets, but I have a routine and expect things to happen a certain way too :D
• Portland, Connecticut
I think they are also creatures of habit and they let us know if we forget their habit!! haha
@gudheart (12754)
@BelleStarr LOL yep. We are all very similar in some ways :D
Some people don't like their routines upset at all while others don't really have a set way of doing things. I think I'm a bit in the middle.
I have no pets, but the part time cat of my neighbor that likes to come to visit us. In the morning, immediately after I prepare the coffee I open the door and put out the food for the cat and seeds into the bird feeders.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes and I am sure that he/she comes right over to get it. They just know.
@BelleStarr Several mornings he is waiting on our doormat, he is a cute kitty.
@LadyDuck I think this is the best type of cat to have. You have all the benefits but none of the downsides like having them looked after when you're away.
@T_gray (7836)
• Salina, Kansas
I don't have a routine. But my dog gets really happy when I go in the kitchen thinking I'm going to feed her every time. You would think I starve her by the way she acts, but trust me I don't....Lol. She's well fed
• Portland, Connecticut
My dogs always act like they are starving. They gobble their soft food in about 2 seconds. We always have dried food out for them so they can eat when ever they want so they aren't hungry. I guess they just like the soft food better, must be steak instead of hamburger. lol
@T_gray (7836)
• Salina, Kansas
@BelleStarr lol I think so. I've thought about getting my dog soft good every now and then. I think she'd love it
• Portland, Connecticut
@T_gray I get the pedigree in the bags, there are 12 bags for about $8 and we split the bags three ways. They really love it.
That's exactly what happens when my nephew gets up and go to the kitchen to feed them . Sometimes they would be sleeping , but when they sense that he is around already , they would be awakened and really really gets up so they can be free from their cages .
• Portland, Connecticut
My aunt used to have a parakeet that perched on her glasses and talked to her, they can be so smart.
@BelleStarr Some birds are really intelligent and learn all sorts of tricks and behaviours.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv Yes I have seen that on TV but the only parakeet we ever had as kids didn't talk but he did like too look at himself in the chrome garbage pail and it put him where the cat could get him and ... well you can guess the rest!!
I don't have any pets but I do remember when I did have cats and how expected they would get when they heard the sound of the can opener
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh yes, I remember that too. We use bags now but they have great hearing when it comes to food lol
They will come from a long way away when they hear certain sounds. They certainly have acute hearing.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv Yes and tummies that seem bottomless at times!!
@GreatMartin (4305)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Ah the 'kids' have him trained well!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Yes they have us both trained, they hog our bed and stare at us if we eat without them. So much for a dog's life!!
Even our sheep has us trained. If he baas for too long we find him some bread or cut up a carrot for him.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv I think Pavlov has proven his point, we can be trained with proper conditioning lol
We no longer have a pet ourselves to have a routine with. But our son has a puppy, and she knows that she has to sit and shake a paw with me to get a treat, and roll over for my hubby for a treat, her parents, they just give it to her. No effort required on her part!
• Portland, Connecticut
My dogs have to go out and do their business then they get a treat!! No business no treat I tell them. lol
They soon learn what is expected of them too.
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv Now if only I could have trained my husband and children as well!! lol
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Every time my brother comes home from work, he gives both of the dogs a treat. If he even hesitates for a second, Bella will start barking until she receives her treat.
• Portland, Connecticut
That's how mine are they bark they dance that make sure they get our attention. They are a lot like people. lol
@simone10 (21670)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@BelleStarr Yes, they really are. Their barking can be annoying at times but it's their way of communicating with us.
@troyburns (1434)
• New Zealand
I sometimes think we underestimate the intelligence of our pets. They are aware of so much and their memories can be astonishing at times. I even trained a goldfish to swim to one corner of the tank at feeding time.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have noticed they can be quite curious, we were looking at a tank the other day and they all came and stared at us, it was quite funny. I felt like I was in display, enough so that my husband and I commented on it.
@BelleStarr I wonder what they were saying to each other. The mind boggles...
@sofssu (14481)
our birds get excited when I open the fridge and take out the bags.. They think its beans or chilly peppers coming to them.
What sort of birds do you have that would like chilli peppers?
@sofssu (14481)
@JudyEv Parrots, they love chili peppers.
@sofssu Wow, how interesting. What sort of parrots? African greys are supposed to be very intelligent.
@shshiju (10307)
• Cochin, India
Please teach them Que for food Lol
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Oh no they will never que, they will however bark and dance!!
@shshiju (10307)
• Cochin, India
@BelleStarr Then you can hang the food and fix for a high jump among them.
Our sheep tries to open the gate when he sees us coming with some bread or vegetable scraps.
• Portland, Connecticut
impatient is he? How sweet. I think sheep are one of the cutest animals and my great grandfather was a shepherd.
@BelleStarr He knows that the chain is holding the gate shut and he nudges it to try to open it. He is such a cute sheep.