I Felt Sorry For the Students Who Wanted to Work

I really love my job as a substitute teacher. I see so many interesting things in the various class rooms I go to. I meet so many teachers and students. I get to know some of them as I end up returning several times. I get to go home at the end of the day without a stack of marking. (I enjoyed marking but now I enjoy free evenings.) Teachers do an amazing job of teaching routines to their students and most days I enjoy the lessons and enjoy the students without any major discipline issues. Children are children; I don't expect them to be perfect. Today though, the grade eight class was just off track. I didn't have a lesson to teach; they had an assignment to work on. The class was loud and they were unruly. A few students managed to stay focused on their assignment but the others wasted the whole period. It was only one period I had them and that was a good thing. At least a few of those students will have a free evening since they got their work done in class. I wonder what the others got out of wasting all of their time.
• Preston, England
they don't think of the consequences as they think literally of the now - they could get to regret it later
Very true. When they get like that it seems impossible to convince them they'd be doing them self a favour to use the work time given to them
• Preston, England
@paigea a lesson many of them will learn too late but there isn't much you can do about that
@bluesa (14036)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
It is always such a pity when some students do not use their time in class wisely. While those students who did might have some free time at home that night, those who did not will have to do it then or fall behind.
It is hard to get through to them that they are only affecting themself really.
@bluesa (14036)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@paigea , yes, some students will sadly never quite understand that until it is too late and they never quite catch up that work, which could lead them to fail that subject or the year.
• Greece
@bluesa A young relative of ours got involved with a girl at 16 and now two years later he has failed to get a good enough pass for further education. He spent the years he should have been studying romancing instead. Now the relationship has ended he must have rather a lot of regrets. He's 18 now and unemployed.
They are still young and many of them cannot think that they will regret this later in their life.
• Greece
My husband was not able to complete his education and he left Greece and went abroad to do so. It was a struggle for him to get his degree and he has no patience with young people for whom it is so much easier and yet they neglect to get their qualifications.
@41CombedaleRoad I have to say that I have no patience with young people too.
@41CombedaleRoad my husband had to leave school after grade 8 as he would have had to find a place to board in town to continue school. He tried to do correspondence in the one room school house but found it too difficult and the teacher was busy with grades 1-8. So he has no patience hearing about students who do not value this opportunity that is handed to them.
I always felt sorry for substitute teachers at that level. Even the good kids can be swayed and turn rowdy.
I feel sorry for ? or extreme admiration for the regular teachers at that grade level. Somehow they do reach those students. I actually rarely substitute that grade.
• Greece
My friend was a substitute teacher and she had some good and some bad placements, but the money was always good and that consoled her!
I know a couple substitute teachers and they also love their job.
• Calgary, Alberta
Just imagine how hard it is for working students who were doing blue colar jobs while studying. Most Blue colar jobs are very physical.
These are junior high school students. Some may have a part time job but most don't at that age. If they were tired from their jobs; they would have been quieter!
@bunnybon7 (37169)
• Holiday, Florida
lets hope they got some sort of wake up call
I hope they do get a wake up call.
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
We call it relieving teaching here, but I know exactly what you mean!
You must have lots and lots of patience to be a teacher of children. Keep it up !
@shshiju (10579)
• Cochin, India
After school education some get at higher position and some not in a position. But common is that all respect their good teachers, that none other than in any profession , but teachers get respect from all sides of the professionals.
@boiboing (12882)
• Northampton, England
So long as it doesn't happen too often, it's probably not a big issue.
They got the fun of playing around with their friends.
We would sometimes be given the last 10 minutes of class time to start on our homework. I used to go like the clappers so I wouldn't have to do it at home.
• Greece
I did not like doing homework at home because in those days there was only one room that was heated and that contained most of the family plus the radio or the TV. So I had the choice to study against the odds or to go to a quiet room and shiver.
@41CombedaleRoad I had an hour's bus trip but used to get car-sick so couldn't do any reading on the bus but I was able to learn my French vocab on the way home.
@JudyEv My kids were like you. They used that bus time to get done what they could. French vocab was a good choice.
Why socializing, of course. If they are not kept on task, this is always their fall back activity.
True, socializing is important at any age. I would love to improve my rapport with this age group. It can be a nice change from helping 27 children into their snow suits every recess. :D
@paigea I much preferred high school students to the younger ones. They are too germy and squirmy for my taste.
When I graduated from high school probably 2/3 of the students wanted to be teachers - not me I couldn't deal with it. Bless those of you who do it!
Most days it is great. Busy but great.
@paigea Glad you have a job you love.
@Fishmomma (11484)
I know to many students waste time in school and they just don't appreciate the chance to get an education. Life goes by fast and they should learn everything they can in the short time they will be in school.
They really should. When they are complaining about gym class, I like to point out that people pay a lot to go to a gym and they get to have it everyday at school. They could get so much more out of their school days by putting in a little more effort.
I always loved when I was in school and there was a substitute because we never had to do any work it was always basically a free period. I was kind to the substitutes but many of my classmates were not.
I mostly sub in elementary which is what I taught. We get the work done. I am not experienced with the upper grades but they were stuck so I filled in. Most times high school students make good use of a period to get work done, but there are those few who just waste their time.
@maggs224 (1708)
• Alicante, Spain
Isn't it a shame that we don't have the benefit of knowing how we will feel in the future about wasting the time and opportunities we have in school when we are young.
Oh, I wasted my share of time when I could have been completing an assignment. But I read a book! I didn't make it hard for others to work.
@sofssu (14448)
I used to work with grade eight a long time ago.. Its that age of rebellion and indecision. I used to be very strict with the class as they were specially assigned to me for behavioral problems.. However at the end of the year most of the boys became great friends with me and some are still in touch with me.
You really did find a way to relate to them. That is so necessary.
@DeborahDiane (22950)
• Laguna Woods, California
I used to work with eighth graders years ago. Middle schoolers just have trouble seeing the big picture.
I really am much more experienced and much more successful with grade 3. I wish I knew how to get that rapport with the older ones and I admire their regular teachers!