A interesting and, also horrifyingly sad story about rubber.

Banks, Oregon
First we will start with how Goodyear improved rubber and, made it what it is today, to start rubber wasn't all that useful to us, it would melt when it got to hot and, crack when it got cold, Goodyear lost his fortune and, went bankrupt multiple times, but he never gave up on his idea and, he finally did get it right by adding sulfur. 100's of parts in the model T Ford were made out of rubber and, the demand sky rocketed. Mean while on the other side of the world in Africa the Congo a evil King named Leopold was forcing all of the natives, literally millions of people to tap their rubber plants, this sick and, twisted individual not only beat them like slaves, but he would sometimes kill their wife and, kids or chop off their hands and, feet to send a message. What a sick freak. Thank God for one Father he brought the feet and, hands to a missionary. I think her name was Melanie Harris, she offered to help him and, took 100's of pictures sending them out all over the world, finally infuriating the American people enough to put a stop to it. What a amazing woman. Another interesting fact, the first cameras weighed 110 pounds.
Two total opposite facts about rubber. Gosh how horrifying about the Congo and that evil King Leopold. Thank goodness it came to an end with all those pictures.
Yeah, I bet there is a special place in a fiery pit, for that sad sack of...
@sofssu (14481)
Interesting tidbits. Enjoyed reading it.
Thanks and, yeah I was like wow when I found out all of that.
@sofssu (14481)
@TRBRocks420 Its fun to read and get to know stuff always.
@sofssu Yes, I love to learn new things. I try to learn something everyday.
@T_gray (7836)
• Salina, Kansas
That was.....interesting. I had no idea
Yeah, I watched this whole long series called how we were made or something like that and, it documented like all of history from the beginning of time. So, I learned lots of cool stuff.
@T_gray (7836)
• Salina, Kansas
@TRBRocks420 awesome. I think I've seen a show like that before
@suziecat7 (3399)
• Asheville, North Carolina
How terrible people can be to each other for the sake of money. I guess they carted that camera along in a wagon or something.
I think the camera was on a stand of some kind, but probably when moving it yes.
And, yeah I can't fathom the evil in some people, it just baffles the mind.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
Wow, what an interesting story. Rubber is such a useful thing, but I hope nobody suffers in the making of it today.
I hope not too and, I can't believe some of the atrocities that have happened in history and, still happen. That was one brave woman.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
@TRBRocks420 - People think things are so bad today, but looking at history, this kind of thing was commonplace. Man's inhumanity to man is nothing new.
@VivaLaDani13 (17747)
• Perth, Australia
@TRBRocks420 That's friggen horrible! I don't like how people can be just to get their hands on money! I never knew this.
Yeah, he was one of the most evil dictators in history. I can't believe that happened so sad.
Interesting about rubber. That first camera sure was heavy.
lol yeah, I wouldn't want to be packing it around to often.