Intolerating intolerance of intolerance

@vandana7 (65019)
So here is a party and a group that is intolerant of a section our society. When something is pointed out instead of accepting lapses humbly and then raising similar issues on previous occasions, they become defiant, almost suggesting we have only been so bad, you were worse, which at this stage is absolutely unexpected! After all, elections are still way too far. And so I am intolerant of that intolerance because when Dadri incident happened, if I were the Prime Minister of this country, I would have had the guts to stand up in front of the media, apologized for the lapse and said don't excuse me, though I am still learning the ropes of how to manage from center. After all, I haven't as much experience as my predecessors have had. Instead our Prime Minister went hammer and tongs at another leader, studiously avoiding the issue that is causing so much stir. I would have even taken a stand on issue of publication of books by foreign writers. I would have said, I don't know about other political leaders, and their views, but I believe publication of this book by a Pakistani foreign minister is likely to cause some stir, and polarization, which is the last thing I need right at this moment because I can only do so much and so can my ministers. We want to learn how to manage, we believe in democracy, we want to uphold your beliefs, and help you thrive getting the best out of whatever is available. For that, we need to keep any form of intolerance and any form up provocation down. Keeping that in mind, I even ask my ministers to talk less, and work more. How about it Mr. Narendra Modi? Your silence on intolerance is deafening.
@garymarsh6 (14086)
We would all like to see our ministers work more for the good of the country rather than to fill their own pockets with the spoils of their position!
@vandana7 (65019)
Exactly. I am not happy with Modi running around with begging bowl. Apparently, he is getting to roam all those countries with tax payer's monies. That is something we criticized the previous president for. How is this any different? Merely because he is spending time on speeches, and meetings, seeking monetary help? I wish they would take the bull by its horns by first discussing all provisions of laws and setting law and order right.
@garymarsh6 (14086)
@vandana7 and yet this same man has told the UK he does not want our money! The man is a fool. India is one of the middle income countries now in the world and yet there are millions still living in terrible poverty.I am very much for the idea of having every home having their own toilet which in this day and age is not a luxury but a necessity.
@vandana7 (65019)
@garymarsh6 ..I agree. Toilet in every home is mandatory. I would also like the population issue addressed. Seriously, we need to do something about it because we are proliferating hunger that the world is not equipped to handle. Because there is so much population, there is food shortage, and jobs too. If we could force every person who has a third child in this country to pay more taxes it might help the government save some monies, which can then be used for providing toilets, linking rivers, and solar energy projects.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Is Mr. Modi in India? He was touring the world, telling them what good prevails in India and seeking funds for the MPs and Officials.
@vandana7 (65019)
Exactly. I hated Shazia Azmi, Khushboo, and Najma arguing about intolerance yesterday.
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@vandana7 And this time it is Poor Amir Khan who only brought to the fore what millions of Indian families think in their privacy today...
@vandana7 lol I don't even know who first and third ladies are And millions of Indian families think, if they do, of that for a very different reason! Not to give their children some safe environment (?) but to rake up some mullah.... @thesids
• Lucknow, India
A very well made point!! The point of someone being the leader of the country, means they must stand by the actions and should not leave the circumstances to as they are!!
@vandana7 (65019)
I did not say they should stand by the actions. I said he needs to take a stand on issues that can break down the fabric of the society. His humility on this will vanquish the opponents without the need to do anything further and help the other members in the team to realize that such actions on their part force the Prime Minister on back foot, even with the kind of majority he got. By not even mentioning Dadri issue, he sort of treated the pain of a section of the society as something that does not deserve even a mention. That is insulting! He should have.
@vandana7 (65019)
I am also disturbed. Monsoon session was a washout. Winter session seems to be destined that way too. All that is needed is an apology from the Prime Minister saying that though he is not directly responsible for incidents like Dadri and what other people from his party have spoken about, he still wants to stop such things with whole heart and take the country forward. If anybody's sentiments are hurt, I am sorry. I am not indifferent...kind. One statement like that, and all this crescendo built around the word "intolerance" will crumble like pack of cards, and we will have something moving in Winter session. If he cares for this country, he should be doing something like that. Gandhiji would have done it you know.
• Lucknow, India
@vandana7 I am sorry as my comment was vague!! But what I meant was that the government should be humble enough to admit that something went wrong!! Calling out others guilt won't have any positive things out of it!!
No one can really do more than they can do. Work more and talk less perhaps. Only so many hours in a day. Have to change their priorities.
@vandana7 (65019)
I think there are some issues on which the Prime Minister of the country should take a stand as it can cause disruptions throughout the country. Taking such stand is more important than criticizing another leader. Apologizing for lapse will endear him to the masses. Silence on the issue can best be interpreted as endorsement of wrong and encourage wrong elements which will then lead to retaliation and consequent law and order problems. So I would have apologized for Dadri incident for sure, and ordered probe on it and asked people for some time. Yeah...that would help alright.
@vandana7 ....That's true. Maybe there are other reasons why he is remainng silent Or, is he a lousy PM?
@vandana7 (65019)
@celticeagle ...the only reason I think he does not do that is he is not taught the humility of being wrong ever. He considers it below him to do apologize especially for something somebody else did. But he forgets he has the responsibility of his team and in turn, they for all who work under them at ground level. So he needs to stand up. So much of time which can be gainfully utilized for investigating many other things, and controlling problems will be saved.
Of course, distract the attention from our shortcomings by pointing at someone else.
@vandana7 (65019)
But that is becoming so common way of doing things that every party is coming within that definition. If that be so, whom would the voters want to choose?
@Rollo1 (16689)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think the same thing happens everywhere. When one politician is accused of a wrongdoing or a lapse of some kind, they answer the accusation with stories of how another politician or leader did worse things. The idea then is that all we have to be is "not as bad as the other guy" which still leaves plenty of room for misbehavior.
@vandana7 (65019)
That should not be allowed. They don't answer directly. Like one politician was accused of being citizen of another country (therefore disqualified to be elected). He does not say I am not. Instead he says I give you (????) six months prove that I am citizen of that country.