Become a wheelchair friendly country

@scheng1 (24748)
Singapore
A few years ago, the government embarked on a national project to smooth out the country, so that we can become a wheelchair friendly country. While the process is ongoing, it certainly caused some minor inconvenience to us. In my estate, the contractors are re-tiling the ground floor to make it anti-slip, so that old people do not slip on the wet ground on a rainy day. The overhead pedestrian bridges next to MRT are rebuilt to add in lifts so that those on wheelchairs can cross the bridge to go home. I have seen more and more people, especially the seniors, on wheelchairs travel by public transportation, such as MRT and buses on their own. They go to the hospitals that are linked to the MRT station and shopping centers. After their appointment, they wheel to the shopping centers for their meals, and shopping before going home. When I see them, I see my future. I think after the years of infrastructure upgrading to make it wheelchair friendly, the handicaps, and aged will enjoy their independence. Some of them use electric wheelchair, and they sure seem to like the ease of it.
All countries should make it easy for people in wheelchairs to get around..That is great that your country is doing that.
@scheng1 (24748)
I too am glad. This is definitely a good sign of forward planning. There is no need to wait for everyone to get old, and sits in wheelchairs before they start to improve on infrastructure.
@salonga (27957)
That is nice to hear. I think the oldies should be given every convenience they need. But I pray I won't need a wheelchair even at old age.
@scheng1 (24748)
I think even if we do not need a wheelchair when we are old, we should still get a wheelchair. Old people tend to get tired easily, and when you are outside, it is hard to find a place to sit. If you have an electric wheelchair, you can go shopping, and not worried about finding place to sit.
@gudheart (12743)
It must be hard for some to get around in wheelchairs. It is great that your country is now accommodating for such people.
@scheng1 (24748)
It is so easy for those on wheelchairs to get around now. The buses, trains, and taxis are all wheelchair friendly, and the pavement is straight, and some are covered. I think it is good that those on wheelchairs can travel around freely, and so cheaply.