Putting it All in Perspective

@moffittjc (25018)
Gainesville, Florida
At just a nudge before 7:00am this morning, I was awoken by quite a bit of banging and noise from my downstairs neighbor. Ugh, my day off (and a holiday nonetheless) and I can't even sleep in late! I got up, got dressed, and went downstairs ready to do battle with my noisy neighbor (who, until today, had always been a good neighbor). As soon as I get downstairs to bang on his front door and yell at him, I see that there is a moving truck backed up to his door. He's moving? That was news to me. And who moves on Thanksgiving Day? It turns out, the guy's mother has been fighting some serious health condition, and she isn't expected to live much longer. The reason my neighbor was packing up and moving so suddenly was so he can go home and take care of his momma in her final days. I felt horrible that I was so angry at him for waking me up early! Once my anger was defused, I ran back upstairs, put on a big pot of coffee, changed into some old clothes, and went back downstairs to help him. It was the least I could do. I invited him to eat a Thanksgiving meal with my family, but he wanted to get on the road as quickly as he could, since he had a lot of driving to do. I wish him the best of luck, and pray that him and his mother are in peace in her final days.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sometimes it's good to be slow to judge.
@yalul070 (1772)
• Manila, Philippines
Right! I agree with this. Before taking harsh action, try to use your brain first.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@yalul070 Hard to do when we're really angry. Which is why I try not too get too mad as something is happening.
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TheHorse I'm generally really laid back, and slow to anger. About the only time I do let my anger get the best of me is when I'm woken up from a deep sleep. I'm one of those people who can't ever fall back asleep once I'm woken up.
I am sorry, you are losing a good neighbor, let's hope that the next will be a quiet one.
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always seem to draw the noisy ones around me! I live in a college town, so most of my neighbors are college students. That's why I'm sad to see this guy go, he was actually a very quiet neighbor!
@hereandthere (15858)
he probably scheduled it today because he still had to go to work yesterday. hopefully, the roads will be clear so he gets there soon and stress-free. i guess his house will be for rent now?
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
Today is going to be the worst day for driving (especially here in Florida with all the snowbirds coming down), so he is going to have a rough time on the highways. His apartment is paid up through December, so I don't expect anyone else to move in until after January, unless he decides to come back. But, from the sound of things, I don't think he is coming back.
@sugartoes (22722)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@moffittjc you never know he may just show up unexpected & move back in that would be a surprise huh?? I hope he stays in touch & everything goes good for him.
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
@sugartoes I just hope everything turns out okay with his mother, although from the conversation with him, she doesn't have much time left. That's part of the reason why he high-tailed it out of here so quickly. Plus, I'm sure he wanted to spend one last Thanksgiving with his mother!
@poehere (10224)
• French Polynesia
Wow that was so kind of him to do this one. I can see why he was in such a hurry to leave. If his mom won't be around much longer he wants to be there for her. You are a good neighbor and it was so kind of you to do this.
I'm sorry you're losing a good neighbor, but I'm also sorry for the reason for it. Prayers extended to his family.
@suzzy3 (8426)
What a shame his mother is so ill. Not only that a quiet neighbour is going. Nice to you to help him.
@VivaLaDani13 (13805)
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc First thing that made me smile about this was imagining you yelling at someone lol I just can't take that part seriously. Then I smiled more knowing how sensitive and understanding you are. ( already knew that but never a bad thing to hear more about how nice you are ). Good for you for helping him and being so kind to him.
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
Despite what people think, I really am a soft-hearted guy! But let's keep that our little secret!
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 Haha thanks! Your lips are sealed!
Aw what a wonderful gesture, this is the kind of stuff that makes this holiday season so special, thanks for sharing
@birjudanak (7134)
so sorry for heath of neighbors mother but you do good thing to help them because in this time no one is around them and may be they need help and you done it.you also show your maturity by become angry to helpful and this kind of nature i like it.if w help other and they become happy then that happiness is more.
@lokisdad (4065)
That was horrible news but I think you were nice and I wish him the best at such a sad time.
Just as well you saw the moving truck FIRST. Still, it was kind of you to offer to join you with your Thanksgiving meal. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving event!
• Marion, Kansas
Sometimes we jump to conclusions and regret them later. At least you did not get to totally act on your anger impulse and could send the neighbor off in the warmth of human caring.
@softbabe44 (6000)
• Vancouver, Washington
It's nice to know that there are great neighbors around and you offered to help him out and his mom is a lovely person.
This sort of puts things in perspective give, doesn't it? Good of you to help.
@Auntylou (4453)
• Oxford, England
Glad you didn't bite his head off before realising his trouble
@sugartoes (22722)
• Greencastle, Indiana
that's a horrible thing to hear on a thanksgiving day but nice of you to offer your help as well as a meal before he left I'm sure he appreciated it I can see how you'd be upset at being woke up on your day off but not to that after you found out why
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
I also feel bad, because he was in school finishing up his nursing degree, and was almost at the end of his clinicals. Obviously, because of his family situation, he had to drop out, but I hope the hospital and university administrators will be understanding and let him come back in the near future to finish his clinicals so he can finish up his degree.
@sugartoes (22722)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@moffittjc that's so sad to hear I hope he can get his degree on track after all the hard work he put into getting as far as he did main thing I hope he gets there safe.
@moffittjc (25018)
• Gainesville, Florida
@sugartoes I think he'll bounce back just fine! He might have to regroup, but in the long run he put in too much work to become a nurse to just walk away from it all.