An Eerie Experience from a Long Time Ago

@Dalane (705)
I read an interesting post by Intertia4 about a possible ghost sighting, and it reminded me of a weird experience I had many years ago. When I was only 17 years old, I went with my older sister and her friend on a long drive to visit her boyfriend at a college in a neighboring state. We stayed for the weekend and began our trip home around dinnertime on Sunday. After an hour of driving, it suddenly it became very foggy, so we had to drive down these country roads slower than the speed limit. It was taking a long time, and darkness fell. Visibility was very low, and we kept driving with our brights on fearful that there would be other cars that could not see us. After a long time we became fearful because there WERE no other cars. We took turns driving, and I can tell you that as a new driver at the time, I was terrified. The road seemed to keep veering to the right, and I could not see where we were going. We figured that eventually we would come upon a town where we could stop or even wait it out at a gas station, but there were none. I was so relieved when my sister took the wheel as I scouted for any lights. There was nothing but darkness, fog and a small patch of lines on the road in front of us. It was so odd that the road occasionally veered to the right, but there was no veering back to the left at all. We wondered if we were driving in a big circle. At last, we came upon a restaurant/truck-stop with its lights on. What luck that a restaurant would still be open on the outskirts of a small town at 2am! We went in and a nice lady in a fancy dress greeted us but said they had no tables left. We saw that indeed the place was packed. Everyone was wearing fancy clothes in a country style-- ladies in big twirly skirts, men wearing "Texan ties". It looked like it was a big party or something. There were children there too dressed up and running around. We thought that strange for two o'clock in the morning on a school night. We just ordered coffee to go and then sat in the parking lot until it looked like the fog was lifting. As we pulled away, we realized something weird-- there were only two other cars in the parking lot. We figured they had a parking lot in the back, but when we circled the restaurant, there were no other cars! There had to be at least 50 people in this restaurant. How did they all get there? This place was in the middle of nowhere. This happened a long time ago, but I remember the details vividly as this was one of the most eerie experiences I have had. What do you make of this? PostsByDalane
@moffittjc (35729)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow! That sent chills down my back! Sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone!
@Dalane (705)
It certainly did feel like that at the time especially with the thick fog and constantly veering in one direction. Thankfully, the rest of the ride home was uneventful.
@moffittjc (35729)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Dalane I always get freaked out by fog in general (I can thank Stephen King for that, due to his story called "The Mist"), so I would have been a complete wreck if I would have been in your situation in all that fog!
@inertia4 (26897)
Now that is one for the books. I love it. See, I think these stories are great. This could be a Twilight Zone episode for sure. I find that very odd that in the middle of nowhere, on a school night with only two cars in the parking lot that all those people were inside this place like it was the middle of the afternoon. Maybe it was a mirage. And I am sure, to this day, you have no solid explanation for this. Awesome story.
@Dalane (705)
We'll never know for sure, just like the experience you wrote about. You just have to wonder when there are no logical explanations. My sister and I still discuss this experience from time to time.
@inertia4 (26897)
@Dalane I know the feeling. But they are interesting stories none the less. And very interesting one as well as entertaining ones. I feel that it don't really matter if I know what really happened. it was something to experience. I still don't buy into spirits or ghosts. I still don't believe in demons or a devil. I find that all to be made up fiction. I just except the situation that happened to me and that's that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds like an episode from the Twilight Zone! I think it was a small town and they were all locals. Or maybe you just circled into a vortex and went back in time. Let's check: You know the year is 2035 right now, right?
@Dalane (705)
Cue the Twilight Zone music.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Dalane I was humming it as I wrote my response.
@Gabugs (1789)
What an eerie story @jstory07 ! Wonder if your sis can verify just in case you had been day-dreaming or maybe the fog made your vision fuzzy. [just joking!] I don't want to think of it as its pretty scary, you know.
@Dalane (705)
Two other people with me had the exact experience. it was creepy.
Maybe hald of the people were ghosts.
@Dalane (705)
I wondered about that too. All that driving around in the fog could have put us in a state of mind where we might see ghosts.