Should Britain Bomb ISIS Too?

@Gr8bit (178)
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Looking at what is happening in Syria especially, I'd say definitely not, it is not as simple as "lets get the terrorists" It is a war not only on terror but of territory. America have allied themselves with rebels who's goal it is to topple the government, arming and training them, however a lot of those arms are getting into ISIS hands, mainly because ISIS also want the Syrian government out, so through this America and ISIS want the same thing and it could be said that America may "unwittingly" be arming ISIS. Russia however are backing the government in Syria, giving them arms to fight off the rebels and ISIS, setting themselves in direct conflict with American policies. Turkey, evidence suggests that they are the country buying a lot of the oil ISIS is stealing from Syrian oilfields in exchange for weapons. They also shot down a Russian plane said to be in their airspace although Russia deny this. Iran are fighting ISIS in Iraq Israel have bombed ISIS targets in Syria, France are bombing ISIS in Syria. The whole thing is a powder keg waiting to blow, this is not just about ISIS, if it was it may be a different and easier proposition to deal with. If Western counties backed the government in Syria how long would it take for them to defeat ISIS? Certainly not as long as it will take with so many factions on different sides. Of course you also have to wonder why NATO and America will not back the Syrian government, they will say because of human rights issues or is it because they side with Iran and Russia,who incidentally have a naval base there.... Or maybe the dirtiest word of them all........ OIL? If it is human rights issues, we have all seen a lot worse in African (none oil rich) counties in Africa (Rowanda to name one) where millions where slaughtered and the west did nothing. So my plea to Britain is stay out and use diplomacy to get the countries to band together in common cause and get rid of ISIS, otherwise we will be dragged into a long drawn out war fighting all sides (rebels,ISIS and the government) Which could lead to ww3
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
The problem is that diplomacy is not an effective weapon against such threats. ISIS is a major problem and the primary directive should be to put an end to this, but everyone seems to have their own agenda.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
The diplomacy would be to get the countries to forget their own agendas and concentrate on ISIS
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@Gr8bit That would be the only sensible approach.
@topffer (30037)
• France
It is mainly a Sunnis against Shiites war, and Russia is the only country which has clearly take side (for Shiites). The main reason why US/France/etc wants a change in the Syrian government is because Syria has since 2011 an agreement with Iran for pipelines, while a large part of European countries would have liked to have pipelines for oil and gas coming from Qatar and Saudi Arabia crossing Syria. Iran is a 80 millions inhabitants country which invests the money coming from its oil in Iran, while a country like Qatar is only a pile of sand investing its oil money in countries buying its oil : there is an obvious financial interest to have another oil policy in Syria. Human rights are only an excuse, but we have to get rid of ISIS as soon as possible, and I doubt that a global diplomatic agreement against this terrorist state can be found quickly.
@tallawah (7255)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Let us be straight up...Syrians are running away, not standing and fighting. Fighters have to be imported. Now, if one could get those Kurds, well armed, trained and activated with some help, then ISIS could be defeated. Bombing doesn't work. There has to be a confrontation, Daash has to be killed and locked up and destroyed. It can only be done, hand to hand. For America/Britian and other nations to do this...no. Those runaway Syrians need to be trained and shipped to fight for their country.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
That is a good idea, however I am not sure the Kurds would be as willing this time around as the allies abandoned them after the last gulf war ( if memory serves me)
@tallawah (7255)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@Gr8bit the Kurds are sort of getting a Kurdistan in Syria...so they are there. I doubt they'll go farther than their 'borders'. The thing I find so amazing is that no one is sending the full bodied me back as soldiers. What I would do is have migrants tained and go back and fight.
@suzzy3 (8400)
Isil have to be stopped somehow and to be honest I am not to bothered how the coalition of countries do it. Bomb them to hell. We are already in the middle of a war so what is the difference. I think everyone is just worried sick about this situation. We must stick together to fight a common foe . Horrible to say the least. We are all looking over our shoulders here believe me this cannot go on.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
I assume you are American? I think sometimes your government (as ours do) over exaggerate the risk to get people behind the war
@suzzy3 (8400)
@Gr8bit I am from the UK nobody wants to hurt anyone but we have to stand up to these people
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
@suzzy3 Okay we agree terrorists must be stopped and everyone should stand together... Would you say using Sarin Gas against innocent men women and children is an act of terrorism? If ISIS did that in say Germany, what would happen? The whole world would be up in arms and bomb them AND RIGHTLY SO. If you remember this happened in Syria 2 years ago and America pushed for war, so did we both Parliament and the Senate said no although America went in anyway.. It was later proven that the rebels did it (the people America and it's allies are backing). Iraq's WMDs that never existed, Iraq and Afghanistan were attacked after 9/11 yet none of the supposed hijackers were from those countries. It is all a farce to get the Oil and the revenues that go with it.. If you think it is for anything other than Oil think about this, how have ISIS been funded? Oil right? Firstly the one's buying it are funding terrorists right? In which case they are also terrorists as George Bush said. If ISIS are getting their money from Oil why when America has been supposedly fighting ISIS, not stopped their trade routes to Saudi Arabia and Turkey (our allies)? Russian since they came in have been bombing the Oil tankers going to Turkey, then one of the Jets gets shot down COINCIDENCE? Even today, those hero Americans that are fighting terrorism bombed a Syrian army base... War on terror? Or war for Syrian Oil. Seriously I wish I had your idealistic views, I honestly wish I had just kept to the program and never looked into the rabbit hole because it is a dark dark place (I hope you don't see this as condescending in anyway as that is not my intention)
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's too complicated for me to wrap my head around. I'm glad Israel didn't shoot down the Russian fighter that went into their airspace.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Oh now you had to go and say that didn't you :-) Now that would start ww3
Our government at this time has no idea what they are doing.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
They are doing what they always do... Backing both sides
@troyburns (1478)
• New Zealand
Good to see someone taking a serious look at this complex topic. As you say, this is not just about ISIS, if it ever was. The Telegraph had an interesting op ed piece recently which suggested that a well coordinated, properly manned and properly equipped western army "probably could dispatch Isil's caliphate reasonably quickly, if it were prepared to inflict and sustain the casualties normal in traditional warfare" This may well be true, but the commitment and coordination isn't there, nor does dispatching ISIS solve the problem of what happens next.
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
And therein lies the biggest question of all.. What happens after ISIS/ISIL, Because history has shown that nothing will change, another group will come along
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
Sounds like you've pretty much got it! You must still have a reasonable independent press up there. Doesn't this all sound like it'll play out much like the start of WW1 to you?
@Gr8bit (178)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Our press lies and cheats the people with government propaganda as much as anyone else, I like to look at the Russian news and get a fair prospective. You are completely right it looks exactly like ww1 but if this one starts I fear Britain will be stabbed in the back by certain countries
@zebra2222 (4897)
Britain should stay clear of this ongoing mess.
I cannot add to this.All I know that something need to be done and fast to get rid of this big problem that we have here all over the country.
@norcal (3272)
• Nevada City, California
So far, American's going to war in the middle east does not seem to have accomplished much. How can we bomb ISIS without bombing other people? I can't pretend that I have any answers to the problem, but we can't always just bomb.
@ria1606roy (2644)
• Kolkata, India
A war is brewing, and no amount of diplomacy is going to stop that I think. I agree with your viewpoint that a country should not go just charging in there. It is a dirty game of terrorism, politics and endless side-takings. Bu the countries should step up in a unified front and try to stop ISIS because as long as they are divided, ISIS would just take advantage of those breaks for more intel, weaponry, oil and territory. I've got to say, this is a poor unified response I've seen on an international crisis.