Fluency envy.

@xFiacre (10367)
Ireland
Martin's Polish, from Warsaw, and when he speaks English he just sparkles. He has a slight accent, but as he works his magic with the cappuccino machine he keeps us all in craic like nobody's business. My brother's the same. It was only when I arrived on the scene that his colleagues in work realized that he's Irish, so authentically Parisian is his French. As for me people kept mistaking me for an Italian when I spoke French, even after having lived in Paris for a year. It's too of my list of ambitions to put that right - in my dreams.
• Denmark
I know about such things. My husband is Italian but when he speaks German he's taken for a Spaniard.
@xFiacre (10367)
@maluse Well I've never heard you speaking, but if you hadn't said so I'd never have known that you weren't a native English speaker.
• Denmark
@xFiacre Thank you. I do have a German accent because I've never lived in an English speaking country for a long time. I'd like to lose it but it isn't possible. But then, so what? Better speak a foreign language with an accent than not at all.
@MALUSE Totally agree with your statement. I have a very strong French accent when I speak English although I have live in an English area for decades.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
A Belgian colleague told me I speak Dutch like a German. I don't think it was a compliment.
• Denmark
I know some Danish words and sentences. One is "Do you speak German?" We have friends in Denmark. Once I called them and asked that. There was silence at the other end. I then went on in English and said who I was and what I wanted. Our friend confessed that he was puzzled because I had asked that with a Swedish accent. I took that as a compliment! -- Aren't we an interesting lot!
I've been mistaken for English rather than Australian which then makes me increase my nasal twang.