Drive-In Movies: Do You Think They Are Making a Comeback?

When I was a child, one of our favorite things to do was to go to a drive-in movie in the summer, on the week-end. Sometimes it was a double feature and we got to watch TWO movies for the price of one. If there weren't two movies, there would at least be a Cartoon shown before the main feature. Then, at intermission, we would go to the refreshment stand and get drinks and hot dogs or candy and popcorn and other things. This was a very exciting event way back when. The whole family would go to the outdoor movie theater in the car. The price paid at the gate was for the whole car load of people most of the time. Other times, we would have to pay for each person. Sometimes, some people, not us ever, would sneak in, closed up in the trunk of the car or they would sneak over the fence. We sat in the car to watch the huge screen and we had a speaker that we fastened onto the door of the car, so that we could hear the movie. Sometimes we sat outside on a blanket on the ground or on the hood of the car. Have you ever been to a drive-in movie? Do you think they are making a comeback. I've heard that a few have been opened in a few places here in the USA.
@cindiowens (4574)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I remember drive-ins. They were always so much fun.
@gudheart (12741)
I have never been to one before :(
Yes, they were fun, but I think young people have too much technology to be interested in this old-fashioned way of watching a movie.
@gudheart I'm wondering if other countries ever had Drive-in movie theaters. Or is it just a USA thing. I think they had them in Canada too.
I enjoyed them when I was young. I haven't heard of any opening around here.
I did hear that Drive-In Movie theaters were making a come-back in some places. I doubt if that will prove to be profitable though, except maybe in some small rural areas. Just for the feeling of nostalgia, I would be fun to go again.
@gudheart (12741)
I think so yes. Although the weather how it is is making the disappear again this season. I saw quite a few in Manchester back when the weather was warmer.
Yes, drive-in movie were only open in the summer months, usually. I do remember going a few times where my Dad had to keep starting the car to warm us up though. It was probably a chilly night in the Fall season.
• Lucknow, India
I guess you have to ask the people to lock the cell phones somewhere otherwise they will keep texting !! LOL