Taking the Auto Repair Plunge

Auto Repair Shop
@Raelove (17750)
Saco, Maine
Well, I did it. I finally made an appointment to take my car in to a new garage to have it looked at. I know the brakes are bad and that I need exhaust work. I've been putting it off for months as I just didn't have the money. Now, I do, but I'm still nervous about it, as I have a long history of big car repair bills. I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of them, but if it does, then so be it. It has to be done before more damage is done due to neglect. My car is a 2004 Subaru Outback, and it has served me well so far. I know those cars are pretty tough and durable, but like all the others, they need to be serviced to keep them that way. So next week, I'll get the prognosis and hopefully will be able to make arrangements to have the work done in installments so my wallet doesn't take too hard a hit all at once.
I had a 1991 Subaru Legacy. I got it in 1995 and drove until last year. Actually I still have it, it starts and all but I don't drive it. I serviced mine annually and had a good mechanic. He would let me pay in two or three payments if the bill was too extraordinary. Thank goodness or I would have been in trouble. They would good about calling me before doing any expensive stuff other than the usual. And there were a couple of times I had to wait until the next month or so to get something else done.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
I love my Subaru. One tough car. Still purrs like a kitten, no engine sounds at all, and still gives a good ride. I am going to take care of it as long as I can. At least I now live closer to things in case the time ever comes when I can't do it anymore.
@Raelove ...Mine is the same. You have to plan ahead too.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle Got a call back today to confirm my appointment. I must try not to worry. But this stuff stresses me out SO bad.
@UncleJoe (11433)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I saved a lot on brake repair by purchasing the necessary parts, then scanning Craig's list for a hungry mobile mechanic. All 4 wheels had brake pads replaced for less than $50. Shop prices were around $200.
And you could really depend on these folks to do a good job?
@UncleJoe (11433)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@celticeagle Yes, but I happened to be a mechanic when I was younger so I knew he was doing a good job.
I hope your new mechanic has the expertise you need, and is honest and fair with you.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. I'm always worried that because I'm a woman, they'll pull a fast one over on me. So I'm prepared with a few technical terms just in case. And once again, I can say that I researched it online and know pretty much where the exhaust leak is. I hope that gives me an advantage.
Car repairs can be SO expensive. I hope in your case they're manageable. You do need to keep cars roadworthy though.
Our car has been serviced last week, we had to go to the car inspection and they are very strict here.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck They're getting that way here, too, now. Some garages use a finer-toothed comb to do their inspections than others. I researched the list online according to Maine laws, and it's incredible the things they are supposed to check.
@Raelove We even have to remove all the stickers on the windshield, only the sticker of the yearly payment for tool road must be there.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck The only windshield stickers we can have are the inspection tag and parking permits, which must be places in certain places out of the driver's line of vision. Our registration stickers go on the license plates, which in Maine we have 2 of: front and back.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
That looks like a nice big car. We do not have that here!
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
@garymarsh6 Yes, the Subaru Outback Wagon is a big car. Bigger than I need, really. But I bought it because they are known to be good cars that live longer than other models. Hasn't let me down yet!
Yes, car repairs can be costly but cars are a necessity. I hope you do't get ripped off, which does happen to women regarding car repairs. My husband worked on cars most of his life - until we moved south. He had a nice steady stream of customers since he fixed things correctly and not expensively.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
That's the thing, Abby. They don't do it to men, because they assume most know a little more about cars than women do.
Good luck, I hope it will not be too bad for the bill.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, marie. So do I.
I hope that there are not too many repairs needed to keep it running well for you.
@Raelove (17750)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, @Juliaacv .
I know what your saying there
@shshiju (10550)
• Cochin, India
Keeping fit will avoid troubles .