It's a crazy sort of place this world.

@xFiacre (10117)
Ireland
Okay, so the world's in a sorry mess. But tell me, was it ever any different? When I was a child in the early 60s growing up in a remote, isolated corner of Africa my parents huddled over their little transistor radio every night to listen to the BBC World Service news and what I overheard was always dire. My childhood was overshadowed by the Cuban Missile thing that I thought was just down the road, Biafra, the aftermath of Suez, Europeans being slaughtered in Congo, Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby, overdoses of Barbiturates, miniskirts and Gamal Abdel Nasser. Just over the border were Julius Nyerere and Jomo Kenyatta and round a bit was Ian Smith and they all got mixed up with hijackings and earthquakes and Havana cigars. Then I moved to live in Belfast in 1972. What my bizarre childhood taught me was that the world is always a crazy place.
People are always talking about how the world is getting worse, but it isn't. Bad and truly atrocious things have always happened. We're just more aware of worldly events now due to the advancement of technology. It has been, and always will be, a crazy place!
@santuccie (3376)
I agree with Elizabeth. The world today is about as safe as it has ever been. But problems remain, and modern technology is bringing more of them to our attention. And I consider this a good thing, as addressing a problem begins with awareness of its existence.
I was a young girl in the early 60s, I remember everything you mention, I forgot about Gamal Abdel Nasser, but I remember the story of the Shah Of Persia and Soraya.
@shshiju (9050)
• Cochin, India
You have lot of difficulties and life experience. Your life experience will give your world really your flavor. And that may be little hard. I don't believe that the experience from all corners of World are same.
@garymarsh6 (12006)
Not much changed then has there!
@PhredWreck (6096)
Don't forget Chuckie Manson...and his whole crew...forerunners of their brand of terrorism...