We avoided a disaster

As I've told you my MIL died and my husband is sick so we didn't make the trip up north for the funeral. Yesterday afternoon I spent time unpacking the clothes and other items that I had so carefully packed the day before. Everyone knows we won't be there. Just when you think it's not going to get worse, it does and it did and it could have been a disaster. If my husband had not been sick we would have left here Sunday (yesterday). We would not have been back until the end of the week. We would have had a rude surprise upon our return. Last night I turned off the TV and was getting ready to sleep in the guest so my husband could have the whole bed to himself and cough without disturbing me so much. I heard some kind of alarm going off....right below the guest room. This house has a super duper B-Dry system which includes a French drain and a sump pump. It was the sump pump screaming the alarm. My husband could not turn off the sump pump, it just ran and ran (we had 3 or more inches of rain yesterday). He could have shut it off at the breaker but then the basement would have flooded. If he he didn't shut if off the motor could have burned out. He had a submersible pump he uses for the pool so he put it to use the the basement and crossed his fingers. This morning he was afraid to check the basement, but thank goodness it was dry! He then called the B-Dry company and had to wait for them to call back due to high volume. They walked him through what to do, no service call needed. Everything is back to normal now. If we had been away, at the funeral, the outcome would have been bad...flooded basement and probably a burned out motor. It seems we were meant to stay at home.
wow! I dont want to say I am glad he was sick, but...I am glad it worked out for the best!
Things work out in strange ways don't they- it was like it was meant to be...
@AbbyGreenhill I believe so.
@Sreekala (23435)
Sorry to know about the loss. Prayers for the departed soul. Wishing a speedy recovery to your hubby. There is a saying, everything happens for a good reason.
Thank you for your kind words. He will see the doc today so hopefully he'll start on the road to recovery.
I believe in fate and this time it proved that something that looks wrong can finally be a situation saver.
You are absolutely correct. The illness literally saved us from something far ore costly and time consuming.
Funny how things turn out isn't it
Yes, and there was some divine intervention going on I do believe.
Definitely was a good choice. I am glad you stayed home. It could have made him much more ill to do all that driving and you would have been sick in so many more ways to come home to a basement in an uproar.
Sometimes decisions aren't easy but they have to be made.