Childhood memories. Picky girls.

Chile
I have been conversing with my friend @softssu about childhood and the meaning of happiness for us. And I remembered some tales from those times when I was a child and then, later on, when my daughters were little. I was a child that was very picky to eat. At those times, you ate all that you had in your plate. Many times I spent the whole afternoon with my grandma at my side and a thermos dish in front of me. I only loved some dishes that my mother or grandmother made. And at that time, my mother had a maid who did most of the cooking. When I remembered what I really liked, it was not a dish that children would usually love. My grandma made italian sauces and we ate plates filled with pasta. She also cooked an awesome rabbit stew. Yum! My mom made empanadas for birthdays. The rest of the food was made by the maid and I found it disgusting. I started to love food when we went to the US for a year and my mother was the only cook. Unfortunatly, I did not stop loving food and I wish I ate less. My youngest daughter was very picky when she was little. I did not have a thermos dish, but the doctor told me to take the plate away after 20 minutes. Claudia learned to read the hour and would call be that the 20 minutes were over. No comments! I went away with my husband for about 6 months when Claudia was 10 years old. I left my daughterswith my parents. I came back relaxed and the girl had not died from anorexia while I was away. The first time we were at my home, Claudia started to fuss with her dish. So I told her that I would not bother her with her food anymore. She could eat or not and do as she wished. She started to cry with great sobs while telling me that I did not love her anymore. Go figure! I wonder what love is and how can we show it to our loved ones. To eat or not to eat; to let them eat or to accept that they will die of hunger. Do you have such memories?
@moondebi (1209)
• Bangalore, India
Not memories, I currently facing the same problem with my younger son. He doesn't like to eat anything in this earth, and I am just having a trying time. neither can I leave, nor improve his appetite.
Won´t he eat icecream and those sort of food? Maybe you can bribe him into eating a bit of other food and then you give him some he likes providing it is healthy.
@sofssu (14448)
My older son was very picky.. I would never let him get up from the table until he finished all that was there in it. He quickly got the message that mom wouldn't fall for his drama. He learned to eat food without a fuss.. Now he eats all I cook.. With my parents we never had a say.. we ate what we had or we starved.. Not that we had bad food.. The food was always freshly cooked and balanced. We were taught to respect the gifts of God,.
My grandchildren have learned to eat almost everything and everything I cook. I decided to make an alternate dish they liked if they accepted to try a couple of spoonfulls of the new food. Now I can boast that they all think that I´m the best cook they know
@sofssu (14448)
@marguicha That is what I do too.. I give them a treat if they eat their veggies.. Now they love any food put on the table.
@sofssu My grandson Vicente learned to love broccoli when he was a few years old. And I had to hide some pickles from Carolina when my daughter came for a visit many years ago.
I have one, but it does not involve my parents or grandparents, but school. There is one food I absolutely detest - beets. I didn't often eat lunch at school because we lived close, but one particular occasion when we did the lunchroom served beets. I didn't have noon hour recess that day. I stood at the kitchen counter until it was time to go to class. I did not eat those beets.
Have you tried them with lots of lemon juice and fresh coriader leaves?
@marguicha I won't try them at all in any form.
When we were young there was no question of picking and choosing food. We just ate what was given to us. There was not much money around. Today. Yes. I pick and eat. I am more into snacks than regular meals - chocolates being my favourite.
I think that the food that we ate wehn young was healthier than the thousand snaks fut of sugar or fat we eat mow.
@marguicha But I must add that I do take care not to go into extremes. I am conscious of my health too marguicha.
I was, and still am, a very picky eater. I remember my father practically forcing me to eat vegetables, and having to sit at the table until I did so. I NEVER eat vegetables now, or only potatoes.
I discovered that when I was a child, veggies were overcooked at home. When my mom started to cook, I began to like veggies. Now I eat them and love some dishes made with them.