Not even a Good cup of Tea ...

Yeah I have to rant again and this time it is about not being able to find a Green decaffeinated blend of tea in some delicious flavor like Jasmine Passion Fruit w/ Citrus that does NOT contain Modified Corn Starch ! Why is that in a tea in the first place ? I mean am I missing something because I have studied Nutrition and Psychology and even Molecular Biology and cannot see a necessary relationship but then there is a standard way of processing even a tea bag, right ? But seriously and yes folks this ingredient 'modified corn starch' is in our delightful caffeinated and decaffeinated versions that Lipton puts out as great tea and it irks me cause the word modification is not assimilated well for me. You ?
@Namelesss (1326)
Tea is by virtue dried plant parts, why does it even need corn starch or modified corn starch? I'm with you on this. I wish we could just buy the crushed dry leaves in individual tins in the store. Then we could blend as we choose without modifiers or additions.
Well @nameless there are some stores around here that do sell by the bulk tea leaves and I am looking into that as I am just done with paying for something I thought was healthy and delicious and is causing irritability in my digestive tract
Thank you we have Walmart stores here, I'll check on that brand and I appreciate you for letting me know @Namelesss
@Namelesss hey I found something similar to Carrington Tea by Tazo and it is Refreshing Mint and really great
I went down to my kitchen and checked my teas, there is not modified corn starch in teas sold here in Switzerland. I cannot see why to add this ingredients to the tea, of course it is a lot cheaper than tea leaves.
See @LadyDuck this is another one of the small things about this big country that makes other countries like yours, look and sound more healthy and exciting BUT alas my bank book will let me travel as far as the next city not country so I am stuck here . . . for now
@T_gray (7821)
• Salina, Kansas
I have no idea what that means. Hehe but I'm guessing it is bad. I drink green tea like crazy. I don't like that I can't find unflavored premade green tea......I just like it pain
Plain green unflavored tea is fine but it is obviously the flavorings that are not all together natural, that causes distress especially the modification of corn starch ! Thanks for responding and have a great rest of the week
@enlightenedpsych2 I just drink the simple green tea. There's so many flavors now on the market that I'm confused.
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
So what does modified mean in this context. I use just regular ol corn starch to thicken gravy, are they trying to thicken the tea or what lol.
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
@enlightenedpsych2 I understand what you are saying. Again seems everything in our lives is about the almighty buck. Longer shelf life means less waste. Means more bucks. Whether i'ts good or bad for us means nothing to the food companies. It's like medications. Anymore these days some of the side effects of medications are worse than the thing they are designed to help cure or fix. Thankfully we grow a lot of veggies and have 6 different fruits growing in our yard. That helps us a lot. My husband wont' even spray any type of bug spray on our peach tree to rid it of the Japanese beetles. He gets his ladder out and hand picks the bugs off, several times a day.
Great I am glad you understood where I am coming from on this, have a fab Holiday ! @fishtiger58
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
@enlightenedpsych2 You have a wonderful Christmas Holiday as well.
@cintol (5209)
I have never been able to drink tea from the bags. None of them taste good to me, I like Xing tea, mint is my favorite.
Hey @cintol thanks for stopping by and is that Xing tea available in bulk, boxed or how ?
@cintol (5209)
@enlightenedpsych2 It comes in cans, I buy it by the case and its green tea in many different flavors.
Holy mackerel!! Who would think corn starch would be in decaf tea...now I have to check my label on my green tea
It seemed to only be in this particular brand . . . I am hoping it gets removed altogether cause one does not need the tea nor the bag the tea leaves are in to be treated with a modifying agent such as corn starch . . . thanks @Marilynda1225 for commenting
@MandaLee (3695)
Me neither. I LOVE a good, nonmodified, cup of tea!
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I try not to consume anything that has GMOs or processed foods, the fresher you eat the better yoour health will remain
Genetic Modification is NOT too bad nationwide, of course it wreaks havoc on healthy bodies, but the processing that goes into something like meats and veggies in those boxed entrees seems to be loaded with new chemicals every year. It is good to know that you @BACONSTRIPSXXX know that food which has been altered from its original state or form, is NOT healthy. Have a great Holiday
I don't see why they would put modified corn starch in tea? I can't drink green tea as it contains too much vitamin K.
Hi there @marlina but as a nutritional psychologist, I have studied many foods and beverages and the science behind adding them or deleting from our diet is a good way to keep healthy and as far as green tea goes there are catechins which is not a vitamin but an enzyme, I believe. Anyway Vitamin K is important for blood clotting but I am certain you already know that, so follow your doctors orders and don't consume the green tea
@cindiowens (3842)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Have you tried Celestial Seasonings tea? That is what I drink. It doesn't say anything about modified cornstarch...
Your right , well at least the two types of Celestial Seasonings flavored teas I do have: Sleepytime Vanilla and Caramel Apple Dream both have NO corn starch at all, modified or otherwise and that is a good thing.
That does sound frustrating. Why would they need corn starch in tea
That is exactly what I want to know cause I do not know and I am always searching truths for just about everything, or at least reasons why . . . thanks @paigea
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I also do not understand why they would add that to tea @enlightenedpsych2 ! Why they mess with natural products, will never make any sense to me.
@whiteream (3527)
I actually have some in my cabinet, yes it is hard to find. I picked up a couple of boxes a while back. I like to have a cup before I go to bed.
@scheng1 (24807)
I prefer the original tea made from tea leaves. I do not like those special blend with citrus or strawberry or whatever. Normally I take coffee, but if I were to drink tea, I just make a cup with tea leaves.
You know, I've really not noticed what is actually in tea. I try to get a flavored tea for...ummm...flavor. Then I get chamomile to help me get to sleep. Modified corn starch? Does the modified part means that the thickening part is left out? Why have corn starch in tea?
No the thickening is obviously enhanced by the addition of corn starch, but like you said-- Why is it in there in the first place, right ? unneeded ingredient in my opinion