An Open Air Museum in Germany

Bunbury, Australia
The authentic Black Forest house which forms part of the Open Air Museum in Germany is huge. We were told that several generations would live in the one house along with any employees kept to work on the farm. The houses were built into the side of a hill. The upper storey opened onto the farmyard at the back so hay and grain didn't need to be hauled up into the storage areas in the roof space. The animals were kept on the ground floor during the harsh winters so there was little need to venture out into the cold for long. Rooves were thatched and you can see the thickness of the thatch in the photo. Among the various horse-drawn vehicles was a black-draped hearse. The last photo is of a more modern day home. The two horses were a rare breed known as Black Forest. They are not particularly tall but very strong and have calm temperaments. The cattle wore cow bells which were available in a variety of sizes. We saw and heard cattle with bells as we travelled through Bavaria. I loved the sound of the various bells. Sheep, pigs, goats, cows and rabbits were on display at this 'working' museum. I really enjoyed our few hours there. And I've forgotten to add music and now I don't think I can edit it. Maybe next time I'll remember.
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
• Preston, England
a lovely magical place to visit - must seem like actually stepping back in time
I really think I would have liked to have lived in those times - but of course I realise I probably see it through rose-coloured glasses.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv probably a lot harsher than it looks but so much more stylish than what we have now
@arthurchappell There is always a certain amount of connecting with the earth, providing for yourself, all that sort of pie-in-the-sky stuff.
@simone10 (22271)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I agree with others that it's all so interesting and sometimes hard to imagine how people used to live compared to how we live now.
It was certainly a different life wasn't it?
@salonga (27973)
Even there is no music, I enjoyed every minute watching your video. This museum is worth every visit. Thanks for sharing.
I managed to put music in the next one but I haven't submitted it yet.
@salonga (27973)
@JudyEv I am looking forward to that one.
• Portland, Connecticut
That is very interesting. My ancestors lived only 30 miles away so I am guessing lived pretty much this life.
Isn't that cool? I wonder if they wore those funny hats I wrote about?
• Portland, Connecticut
@JudyEv lol The thought occurred to me. One has to imagine that if it was traditional that they would have,.
@DeborahDiane (15853)
• Laguna Woods, California
When you look at the way people used live, it all made sense. However, in the cold weather of Germany in the winter, I'm sure life could be very difficult, too.
I just have no experience of living where it gets so cold. I always marvel at how they managed.
Hey, I've been there too. I loved it.
I thought it was just so interesting. I would have loved to be as self-sufficient as they were. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
Oh wow, the first house was beautiful . It seems so refreshing to be inside that house . What about the house in the end ? Was that the museum ?
The last photo was a much more modern house. It didn't have a thatched roof but still seemed to have been built in a similar style.
@JudyEv So there was no picture of the whole museum itself ?
@SIMPLYD The museum consists of a number of buildings including the building in the first two photos. There was a forge, stable, big barn, shelters for animals etc all spread around on several acres of land. It is called an 'open air museum' so all the various buildings and the animals are included in the 'museum'. Hope that helps.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
Sounds quite a nice place. The video has some lovely photos too!
Thanks. I hope the photos make sense. They do to me but I was there and remember all sorts of things about them.
@garymarsh6 (12103)
@JudyEv It is good to share and although we may not have experienced it first hand it is lovely to see other places and somewhere you clearly enjoyed!
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I enjoyed the photos. It looks like a very interesting place I would love to visit it one day.
Glad you enjoyed them. I would have loved to have worked in a place like this. I always enjoyed our farm and the hands-on chores.
@Dragonairy1 (1486)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
It looks fascinating, and some great photos
It really was my kind of museum.
• Denmark
"the Open Air Museum in Germany" -- can you be a bit more precise, please? Is it the Vogtsbauernhof? If so, I've been there.
Yes, that's the place. Our friend drove us there from Freiburg. Did you enjoy it too?
I would really love to visit that museum.
I was very pleased I'd been able to go. I'd love to think I might go again one day.