Poinsettia time

sofspics, poinsettia hot pink
By sofs
@sofssu (14493)
Each year there are newer colors and varieties of poinsettias in the market. This year when I was in the garden shop, the shop assistant who knows me very well pointed out to a newer variety of poinsettia. It was hot pink.. I have seen other pink varieties before.. but this one had such a vibrant color that I needed to buy one. I was shocked to see the price tag on the plant. The plant was priced around $7.5 approximately. I will get one maybe next year.. it s always cheaper when another new variety is the center of attention. I do not really need to have the latest variety of plants. Are you compelled to buy stuff that is beyond your budget if you like it? I am not just talking about buying plants. I just had to resist the temptation and walk away.
@Rollo1 (16653)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Never having successfully forced a poinsettia to bloom a second time, I am loath to buy them at all. I used to take home the ones from work when the season was over. Now, I have a silk one which is always in bloom and came from the dollar store.
@sofssu (14493)
@Rollo1 One of my oldest poinsettias is twelve years old.. It always blooms every year.. I just leave it in a dark room for a couple of days bring it out for a few hours and repeat it for a week.. It blooms without fail.
I think a silk one would suit my requirements beautifully! What a good idea.
@Rollo1 (16653)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@sofssu But where do you put if for the other 11 months of the year?
My husband bought me a beautiful bright red poinsettia last weekend. I like the red ones over any of the others.
@sofssu (14493)
@Juliaacv I am actually bored of the reds.. The peaches and cream, the pure whites and the pinks have caught my fancy now. I have also grated a pink with a cream to see how it works.. hope the graft works well.
@simone10 (21679)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I never buy beyond my budget but it I do have the extra, I will buy something that I really want.
@sofssu (14493)
@simone10 I never go beyond my budget on anything.. but with plants I have a weakness. This one was way too expensive and i know the prices will come down after Christmas.
@simone10 (21679)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@sofssu I wish I could have poinsettias but they are toxic to dogs.
@sofssu (14493)
@simone10 Not unless your dogs nibble on leaves. I have had dogs and poinsettias for years.. I have had no such issues. You could place your plants at a higher level if you fear harm to your pets.
The florists in the mall have plenty of beautiful poinsettia in bloom, I love the pink variety.
@sofssu (14493)
@LadyDuck There are ranges of pinks.. I loved this one for its rich color. It would make the whole house come alive with color.
@Micmac (7649)
@sofssu and @LadyDuck That's what I like about poinsettia..they can brighten a room and the decor looks very chic. They really stand out in a house and make ae good conversation piece.
That is true . We don't have to buy decorations that are expensive . Instead , we can always make use of the old ones which we keep after each Christmas . Maybe a change of the color of ribbons to adorn it will do the trick of it having a new appearance .
@sofssu (14493)
@SIMPLYD absolutely true.. But I have an addiction for plants and tend to collect them like crazy. It was tough to walk away from this one.
@sofssu Your self control was also tested that time .
@sofssu (14493)
@SIMPLYD It sure was.
@salonga (27998)
Good that you were able to resist the temptation. If I were in your place I would do the same. I can't be compelled to buy something that is beyond my budget unless I really need to.
@sofssu (14493)
@salonga I usually don't but with plants I tend to go overboard. So this was test for me.
@salonga (27998)
@sofssu Plants are truly irresistible. Most times I am also tempted but have to just control myself.
@sofssu (14493)
@salonga Good to know that you have trouble in that area too.. I was wondering if I am alone in this. LOL
@kaka135 (13992)
The pink poinsettia looks pretty. I have not seen pink poinsettia before. I don't buy any stuff that's beyond my budget. I do not need anything that's the latest trend too.
@sofssu (14493)
@kaka135 You are sensible.. I usually don't but when it comes to plants I usually cave in.
@kaka135 (13992)
@sofssu I have to, as I am a stay-at-home mum, I have to learn to spend wisely, so that I can continue to stay at home with my children.
@sofssu (14493)
@kaka135 You have made the right choice. I have been there too.
If you do not have the money walk away and do not buy until you have the money to buy. If you have pets poinsettia are poison to a cat or dog.
@sofssu (14493)
@jstory07 mOney wasn't the question.. I had enough and more.. but it was way too pricey. I have around thirty poinsettias and have pets too.. This is more of a hype than the truth.. They 'could' cause itchiness if the sap flows on to their skin that is about it. That is my experience with poinsettias.
@KnehKnah (3475)
Wow! That really looks special & new! We only have the red variety here, no more no less. Will I buy it even if it's so dear? No. I will just request for a branch. Maybe I will be able to let it grow in so short a time. Maybe just in time for next year's Christmas. Who knows?
@sofssu (14493)
@KnehKnah They wouldn't have give me a branch off the prized possession. I would have to wait until the next Christmas.. but that is okay.
@KnehKnah (3475)
@sofssu You're right, my dear. We just need to wait for that right time to have that beauty. In the Philippines, we call that waiting of that right time, "sa tamang panahon!"
@sofssu (14493)
@KnehKnah OH my that sounds like a mouth full. sa tamang panahon. The best things in life come after a wait. Patience is the key .
@sueznewz2 (9647)
• Alicante, Spain
Well done for walking away... i'm a bit traditional..., I like the red ones....
@sofssu (14493)
@sueznewz2 I have a whole bunch of reds and whites.. I have a couple beautiful peaches and cream colored one too.. they look stunning.
@sueznewz2 (9647)
• Alicante, Spain
@sofssu I've not seen the peaches and cream variety... will have to look them up...
@sofssu (14493)
sofspics, poinsettias
@sueznewz2 Let me see if I can post a picture of it here.. I am not sure if I have it on my computer.. but I will when I find it. Edit.. I did find a picture after all.
@Micmac (7649)
I receive Poinsettia as gifts from my friends every year. They are very beautiful with vibrant red colors. I am basically thrifty and don't spend over my limits.
@sofssu (14493)
@Micmac good on you.. I am thrifty too .. but my weakness is my plants.
@Micmac (7649)
@sofssu I went overboard buying many indoor plants this year which had cost me an arm and a leg. They were easy to care for and I thought they would last, unfortunately they all withered. So, then I bought inexpensive plants and they are thriving a long time now.
@sofssu (14493)
@Micmac I am good with plants . One often multiplies into many others and becomes gifts for friends. Glad your plants are thriving.. Maybe the lack of sufficient light causes the problem.. try getting a couple of grow lights.
oh wow, that is super pretty though
@sofssu (14493)
@Jessicalynnt Its pretty and was pretty tempting. I am not an impulsive buyer .. but when it comes to plants I am a spendthrift.. it took a lot of self control to keep away from that one.
@sofssu I can walk away from most plants, I cant keep the silly things alive for the most part
@sofssu (14493)
@Jessicalynnt I can see why.. I am addicted to them..
@fawkes62 (1297)
I've never bought a poinsettia before. I've heard they are toxic to cats, and since I have two, I avoid that plant, though I do think it's pretty. It's always difficult for me to avoid stuff I can't afford, but I do my best. Most of my money is taken by bills and groceries, so avoiding what I can't afford includes a lot of stuff.
@sofssu (14493)
@fawkes62 That is sensible living. I hear that hype about poinsettias so often.. I have pets too.. its only toxic if your pets eat a a handful of those leaves. I am fine with poinsettias. I have been so all my life.
@fawkes62 (1297)
@sofssu I don't like to take a chance with Allie. She's been known to eat all the leaves off of a plant that she likes. If she ended up liking the taste of a poinsettia, she would probably eat enough for it to be toxic. I will just stick to enjoying the ones I see in the store.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh yes, many times I have been tempted to buy something I do not really need, and many times I have successfully said, no, I do not need it, and walked away, though it was not easy. :-)
@sofssu (14493)
@bluesa IT isn't easy but its the right thing to do.. you always feel stronger for it. Don't you?
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@sofssu , yes, it is important to realise when a person has to say no to something, and it does make a person feel stronger. :-)
I saw pink poinsettias in our garden shop yesterday too. I didn't stop to look at the price. I quite like the red ones and I'm not much of a gardener anyway.
@sofssu (14493)
@JudyEv I guess you were not so tempted as I was.. plants are my only major weakness
@sofssu Well, it's a lovely weakness to have, much better than some I could mention.
Sure. If the kids don't need something. They come first.
@sofssu (14493)
@celticeagle True the kids always come first. I put them and their needs first too.
@sofssu .. I think that is as it should be.
@PainsOnSlate (20079)
I am not a good shopper, i buy what I need and that's it. I'd rather have the money in the bank and take vacations without guilt and we do that often. Someone will get a poinsettia for me for Christmas and I don't need to buy one...
@sofssu (14493)
@PainsOnSlate I usually get one for my friends.. Home grown ones of course.. This one I wanted for myself. I am like you I wont spend too much.. but plants are generally my weakness.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
You did the right thing. I wouldn't buy something that I can't afford regardless of how much I like it. Plus, like you said, there's always a chance to get the plant later when the price might be cheaper. I call that smart shopping!
@sofssu (14493)
@cahaya1983 Next year or even at the end of the season the [plant would cost next to nothing. By Christmas next year I would have a few of them blooming too.
• Midland, Michigan
I saw a pretty pink one this year to, but I don't think it was hot pink. It depends on how long I've been wanting something. I can usually look but walk away too.
I haven't had a real live poinsettia in years. I have seen the pink one you describe and they are very pretty