learning

@sissy15 (5174)
It's funny, I've never been particularly good at anything, just OK at a lot of things, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's better than being really good at one thing and terrible at a lot of things. The one thing I've enjoyed doing since I've been older anyway is learning. If I become remotely curious about something I look it up, let me tell you sometimes it comes in handy playing trivia track lol. I wish I had actually paid attention for the majority of my schooling, I didn't start to pay attention until last couple years of high school, better late than never I guess, once I paid attention I really didn't have issues. If I could be paid to go to school I would do it. I only managed to make it a year in college, not because it was too hard, but because I got pregnant with my son, and I had to put him first. I'd like to eventually go back. I have to go to community college though, because I can't afford a 4 year, I can't afford to go in debt with student loans, grants will only cover so much. I remember I did horrible in my comp 1 class, as anyone who has a general idea of English grammar would notice my grammar isn't the best, at least not with punctuation and etc. I still struggle on some things. I remember my comp 1 teacher actually complimented me and then tore me down in a matter of seconds. She told me that I had a wisdom about me that went well beyond my years, and that I would be an excellent writer if only I knew basic grammar. I sat there dumbfounded, not sure whether I should feel insulted or not. I'm still not entirely sure. I already knew my grammar was horrible though. For whatever reason a lot of the grammar rules I learned in school didn't stick and still don't. I do love learning new things though. I make myself learn new things everyday. I love things that are science, history, and geography related. I also know quite a bit about movies, especially older movies, although not enough I'd consider myself a film buff. It's all mostly just useless trivia that probably won't get me anywhere, but it's still something I didn't know before. I just like to keep my mind busy. I like to read about various things and teach myself new things. Some of it has come in handy in the past. My family always seems to come to me with questions, especially with movie trivia questions and medical questions...I'm not sure about the latter as I'm not a doctor, but they have it in their heads that because I did well in Anatomy in high school (10 almost 11 years ago btw) that I must know all of this medical jargon. I do read about various diseases and things, but I don't know enough that I feel like I should be giving medical advice, usually the best advice I can give is "If your'e worried go see a doctor." I couldn't be a doctor or a nurse because while I love learning stuff I don't have the stomach for it. I can't even watch my mom give herself a shot for her diabetes. I have to look away. I can't handle seeing people in pain. I don't have the heart for it. I believe if you're curious you should look it up, when my son is old enough to read and he asks me a question I'm going to teach him to look it up, asking questions is great, but sometimes you won't be able to get the answers you're looking for. A person can only retain so much knowledge, that's why it's best to get your answers from more reliable sources. I don't like to remain curious, that's why I always look up the answers to my questions.
@sugartoes (36620)
• Greencastle, Indiana
WOW from what I read on here I felt like I was RIGHT HERE with you talking how awesome, you sound like a real smart educated person & have your head on right to know what you want to do. as from what I see here you ARE as much of a writer as you set yourself up to be, you did a AWESOME job on this topic. please keep in touch I'd LOVE to hear more.
@sissy15 (5174)
Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm not horrible in my wording...usually, but my punctuation and etc. isn't the best.
@sugartoes (36620)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@sissy15 don't feel bad we're not perfect no harm no foul
@sissy15 (5174)
@sugartoes I don't really feel bad about it, it's just fact lol. I've learned to accept my failings and move on. I'm not hurt or sad about them, I know I'm not perfect, and I have yet to meet a perfect person, we all have our flaws, I just figure knowledge is power. You can't fix yourself unless you know where to start. Literacy will probably always be something I'm working on. I'm OK with that, some things come easier to some than others. This will probably always be something I'm working on, to be fair the English language is one of the most complicated to learn and fully understand, because we have so many rules.
• Dayton, Ohio
I am reteaching myself grammar as an adult. Luckily, there are tons of free online corses. Having the ability to learn is an amazing thing. You should pat yourself on the back for striving to learn, even as an adult!
@sissy15 (5174)
Yeah, grammar is something I've always struggled with, even as bad as mine can be I've seen worse. Thank you, learning is something I truly believe everyone should invest their time in, it's especially important as we get older, it helps us keep our minds sharp.
• Dayton, Ohio
@sissy15 I know what you mean about grammar! Mine can be terrible at times, too. Other times, I'm being lazy. Sometimes, I blame this tablet! I love how you refer to learning as an investment. That's the angle we should all see!
@sissy15 (5174)
@BethieAnnie Yeah, when I'm on my phone I'm lazy lol. I was too lazy for commas once, and my friend was like "YOU NEED COMMAS!" because I said something about eating a soup with doughnuts or something and I meant it as two different things, but I was on my cell phone and commas take effort on my phone lol. Thank you I mean it really is an investment, it's something we should all work on. There's so much information out there, and so many important things out there that so many of us just don't know. You can never know too much, there's always something beneficial to learn, heck there's even stuff that we don't need to know that can be beneficial. Learning in general is something that we can all benefit from. Knowledge really is power.
• Marion, Kansas
Since your son will grow up seeing you look things up he will do it naturally. You sound so much like me.
@sissy15 (5174)
I hope so. He's already so drawn to learning shows and things, so I can only hope he learns to never be satisfied with being curious.