What does the word "bungalow" mean to you?

Eugene, Oregon
Driving through an older neighborhood in my fair city last week, the word "bungalow" came to mind while looking at rows of older houses on the streets. I see the word used in real estate ads too. Merrill-Webster's dictionary defines the word as : a house on one level or a main level with second smaller level above. They usually have front porches too. The word comes from India (my wife knew this, I did not) and is a thatched or tiled roof single level house with a veranda. What does "bungalow" mean to you ? Are there houses like that in your area? Maybe the definition has become so broad, it covers any house style.
• Denmark
I knew about the origin of the word, too. It's derived from Bengal, the part of India which is now Bengladesh. I've always thought that it is a house with a flat roof
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh, I did not think of the flat roof aspect.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
@JamesHxstatic I don't think that's the case. It's the number of floors not the shape of the roof that counts.
To me, bungalow means a one storey house, that's all.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is sort of the way I see it too.
@amnabas (9702)
• Karachi, Pakistan
To my opinion it is a luxurious house.
• Eugene, Oregon
Some of them certainly can be luxurious,
I was doing research for a book on house styles and bungalow was one that intrigued me with it's style - single level with a nice front porch. There's one in the neighborhood I live in and it's a nice looking home.
We have several here. To me they are low built with a full length front porch. Usually do not have an upper level. I am finding an origin to the word as follows: late 17th cent.: from Hindi ba?gla ‘belonging to Bengal.’
@owlwings (37695)
• Cambridge, England
In Britain the word "bungalow" refers to a single storey house, usually detached. If the building has a 'half' upper storey, with dormer windows (but with the roof still coming down to the first storey) it is known as a "chalet bungalow". British bungalows tend not to have a verandah, though some do (the last house I owned had, originally, a rather narrow verandah on the south side at the back which had been glazed so that it was more of a corridor. We demolished it and built a large conservatory/living room in its place.
@seren3 (393)
I remember when travelling in India the cheap motel-like digs were "government bungalows" built for the many travellers during colonial times. Yet thinking back, I don't remember the flat roofs. (back in the mists of time lol).
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
In India they can be quite grand but generally the word just means a single storey property.
A bungalow is a low rise house, usually with only one floor, the shape of the roof does not count.