An Adventure of its Own

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Cell phones have been an integral part of our lives for a few years now. Initially I acquired one as an emergency resource for those times that I was on the road with our small children. Now that I have a smartphone it is my “everything” resource. I use it to keep up with my children and who I need to provide transportation for. I use it to google questions that pop up during the course of the day. In a pinch I’ve even used it as a GPS. I’ve used my phone for photographs and to maintain a journal while on a back-woods camping trip. I’ve used it for reading deep in the depths of a well insulated sleeping bag on a frosty night in the woods. The phone has been used for audio books on long car drives (and sometimes short ones) to prevent my children from bickering. This week, though, my phone is off on an adventure of its own. Friday morning, my husband and I drank a quick cup of coffee with Morley and her husband before throwing our bags into the back of our mini-van and heading off to collect our children who were staying with a cousin. It was early, and while I managed to gather up most of my bits and pieces it seems I was less thorough than I should have been. We crossed through customs, after being subjected to the most rigorous cross examination by a customs official that we have ever experienced, and headed west on the New York Thruway. After I tucked the passports away and returned my green-card to my purse I started rummaging around for my phone. It wasn’t in my purse, it wasn’t in my coat pocket. I checked the floor around my seat, and even took a moment to check my tote. My chromebook was tucked into one pocket, my kindle in another and charging cables for everything were in place. Only my phone was not to be found. It seems my phone was left at my sister’s home. Now it’s off on a jaunt of its own. Turned off and snuggly packed it has crossed the border and been dropped off at a post office. It will be rubbing shoulders with Christmas parcels and cards not to mention a few bills. Unfortunately it won’t be able tell me the tale of it’s journey--I might have to invent something to amuse myself.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Realizing you've left your cell phone behind can give you such a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. My wife and I went shopping yesterday and I left mine at home. Even though she had hers, I felt like I was disconnected from everything.
In some ways it's a bit scary, on the other hand it's kind of nice being "off the leash"
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@Platespinner Once the original panic settles down, it is nice that I can sit in the coffee shop at Target while K shops and work on my laplet without her texting me to ask a million questions about which Glade Scent to buy.
@DWDavis You sound like my husband.
@PainsOnSlate (18576)
Lately maybe because its near Christmas I am asked if I am bringing thing to mail in the States while I live in Canada. I used to do that because our postage is so expensive. But no more...I don't know what they would say if I said yes, but I really don't want to know...So glad you didn't lose it but just left it behind.
My dad used to maintain a PO Box on the US side because of the cheaper mail. I feel collossally stupid for having left it behind.
Don't beat yourself up crap happens...@Platespinner
Oh wow! While your phone is important, it could have been something else left behind. Glad Morley was able to get it started on it's journey.
I think she had some help from Boekmeisje. I thought that was my stupidest move for the week...until I dropped a piece of firewood on my chromebook yesterday. Sigh.
@Platespinner well, I guess this would be the time when a dislike button would be appropriate. Hopefully the chromebook wasn't irreparably damaged.
So does it feel like you have a limb missing?
It's actually rather liberating. Unfortunately I need the phone and my contact list for coordinating the church nursery next week...
At least you found it so that's a great thing. Not fun losing it and never finding it.
@sishy7 (24830)
Oh, not sure why but reading your post reminded me of Home Alone movies where things are hectic around Christmas time especially in a big family and things can easily get left out...
Fortunately it was merely a phone and not one of my children!
@sishy7 (24830)
@Platespinner Exactly!
• Marion, Kansas
Thank goodness you know where it is. When they are completely gone you do not know what kind of trouble they can get into.