First, Break All the Rules

@OneOfMany (9169)
I was given a book by that title by one of my teachers for a high school graduation present. It's a book about what the best managers do and the tips and keys to whatever it is that they do. I actually never read much of it; I did open it and flip through, but I have to say its title has become my motto. And I break all the rules to make a point. Because it's the only way to see the world for what it really is. Do you know this book, and/or do you agree with the title being meaningful just by itself? I know I do. It's the only graduation present I think about. Aside from the money of course, but philosophy is something that tends to keep its value over time.
@scheng1 (24970)
I think many of us are trained to obey rules without knowing the reasons for the rules. In the end, we obey all the old rules that are not applicable. It is the same in the office. The rules have been in place for years, and nobody thinks about questioning them or to change them.
@OneOfMany (9169)
I'm naturally an out-of-the-box thinker, so it's in my nature to break rules when they look foolish. :)
Some rules are made to be broken. Others, probably not so much!
@OneOfMany (9169)
Well certain laws should be followed because of the consequences, but other things that don't have an immediate effect I'm all for shattering!
@pgntwo (19588)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That a rule exists in the first place implies a boundary was breached at some point previously.
@OneOfMany (9169)
Or that the power hungry like control and set it up as a way of stifling others from finding that as well.
@pgntwo (19588)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@OneOfMany Aye, that too.
@OneOfMany (9169)
@pgntwo This world needs to change into something less restricting.
I dont just break the rules because they are rules, I have to have a good reason or it must be a bad rule