We'll Get By With a Little Help

Bunbury, Australia
Yesterday Vince picked up two backpackers from the local hostel and they helped us dig some trenches. A tree root had broken through a water pipe and we needed to lay a new pipe. Once we could have managed on our own and enjoyed doing so but now these chores seem much harder so rather than bust ourselves, we hired two strong young lads for a few hours. One was from Taiwan but had spent much of his life in America. He must have returned to Taiwan and continued his college education at some point. He said the person teaching English in Taiwan was not very good and occasionally our young friend would correct very obvious errors. In the end, the teacher promised him a 'B' grading as long as he didn't attend any more classes. The other disturbing factor was that both young men had been paid about half the hourly rate that is set by the government. As the employment was very short-term and they didn't want to make waves, they didn't complain. I felt it was very bad that commercial enterprises would exploit these young people in this way. Photo copyright Vince Evans
@garymarsh6 (13647)
Thats the trouble isn't it Judy. The mind thinks like a 20 year old but the body acts like a seventy year old at times!
You are so right! It's incredible how cunning we have become. We are really good at thinking outside the square now as to how we can, say, move something heavy without killing ourselves.
@sofssu (14467)
That is not right... its so unfair to those young men who are perhaps struggling to make livelihood.Hope your pipe line is fixed.
I think it's terrible. I'd like to do something about it but I'm not sure what yet.
@DeborahDiane (20868)
• Laguna Woods, California
I'm afraid that people are exploited in many ways, all over the world. It is a really sad situation, and I believe it is behind many wars and rebellions.
I'm sure it is. No-one likes to be taken for a ride.
@shellyjaneo (1091)
It is sad isn't it how these people are exploited but it happens everywhere it definitely goes on in the UK it needs to be tackled x
These are people who are looked up to in the town, on the council and all that - and they're cheating these youngsters. It needs to be tackled here too.
@JudyEv At least over here it is usually small business with no morals that are doing it not the government, or if it is we don't know about it x
@shellyjaneo I don't think the government is into it. The 'council' is our local government but the individuals on the council are not above paying less than they should in their own businesses.
How sad that in every country those young workers are underpaid. Even here in Switzerland some foreign workers are underpaid, this is a shame.
It really annoys me. These are some of the leading orchardists in the industry. They would be highly offended if you said they were cheats but that's what they are.
@JudyEv So true, I am glad that our government is sending out inspectors to stop this practice.
@Gabugs (1763)
@judyev Its indeed sad and deplorable when young hard working folks are cheated in this manner by enterprises. In fact, they should have been encouraged and helped in their educational expenses.
I think it gives them a bad opinion of Australians too. They are all travelling on a pittance.
I think it must be illegal for them to be paid less than the legal rate. We had the grandsons over yesterday to help us with some chores. Grandsons are a life saver I have to say.
It is illegal. I'm just not sure it's worth making waves about.
@Lucky15 (33416)
They might have the chance to be exploited ma'am. Hope that some will pay them fairly
Most do pay them properly. I think it was for a small amount of work - which wouldn't have cost much at full pay.
@kaka135 (14017)
It's so nice of you to get the backpackers to help. It's really good for them to gain real life experience while traveling. I think the Taiwanese will get to learn more English while traveling in Australia than attending the class. I guess some enterprises might just take advantages of those young people, and they are foreigners too.
We have several hundred in our town at any one time. They are employed for seasonal work on market gardens and in orchards and vineyards. We don't often need help but we have used backpackers before.
Are they working in your country under the table? They must be if their employers can get away with underpaying like that.
No, they are here legally but they don't want to rock the boat by speaking out. I think it was just two days work - but at half the proper hourly rate. The guy who runs the hostel parcels out the jobs so no-one wants to get on his wrong side. It gets a bit tricky I gather. I don't know much about it but I do know it's not fair. I might write to our local paper just to bring it to people's attention.
@T_gray (7821)
• Salina, Kansas
that is terrible that that has to happen like that, that they don't get paid full amount.
@Platespinner (16510)
Unfortunately exploitation is not uncommon. Glad you got the help you needed!
@glenniah (1201)
• Mandurah, Australia
It is mean that people can't be paid what they are worth. Last year I went to Esperance on the bus and I met a backpacker who had just enjoyed Christmas in Sydney, surfed at the Gold Coast and now was on his way somewhere past Katanning. He said he wanted to see the 'Outback'. I just wanted to tell him to go home. Hopefully though he did enjoy his time on the farm and saw something he will remember forever. Not quite the Outback but country Australia at least.