A New Chapter

@Morleyhunt (19299)
This morning I took my father to accomplish a couple of tasks. Our first was finished, quickly and easily. The second was even quicker and easier. Then we went to his house to search out a few items he was missing, or wanted to have available for use at my house. This too was a speedy process. Then the trouble began. My brother had suggested that we not change his address just yet, but simply have his mail forwarded to my mailbox. It sounded so simple. We arrived at the post office wicket and informed them that we wanted to have his mail forwarded. "Do you have ID?" Then he proceeded to give us a list of valid ID. No. We did not have the required documents. He told us to go to Service Ontario to get a purple ID that would fill the requirements. Back into the car. A couple of blocks later we could ask. Again do you have any of these methods of ID. We have one, but two are required. Stymied again. We have been searching for something that they would find adequate. For now, we will continue to make the thirty minute drive to collect the missing mail E
How frustrating!
Apparently they have to make things complicated. Hopefully you can scrounge up an adequate number of approved documents soon and be able to forward the mail.
• Midland, Michigan
I can understand because with the way people are these days, possibly others had problems with their addresses being change when they didn't even move. Otherwise, I don't see a need for all that red tape. Here in my area, we need those forms of ID's for enhanced licenses which allow us to travel easily into Canada and a few of the Islands in the south, but to change our address doesn't take long at all and we only need to fill out a form and put it into their box. We don't need to talk 'face to face' with anyone at all, or at least not yet. When we were trying for an enhanced license for my mom several years ago, they wanted her birth certificate. We found out that she never had one. She only had a paper that wasn't notarized the way they do it these days. There were also problems because she goes by her middle name, therefore, some forms of ID's or credit cards use her first name, others her middle and many variations in between. We also couldn't take care of it in our city, but had to travel 30 minutes away. It took a while, but then it was finally taken care of. THat was difficult, but when she moved two years ago to a senior living center, the address was changed easily. I hope you can work things out soon.
• St. Petersburg, Florida
Well, that is our tax dollars at work. One must make sure that an 80 or 90 year-old man isn't a terrorist importing automatic weapons through the postal service.
Nothing is ever easy is it. Here we just have a card to fill out and have the mail forwarded. Is it possible you can do it online?
@totobasso (344)
Been through that with my dad too before he passed away. They don't make life easy do they?
@koopharper (6895)
Don't envy you on that one. We've run into our shares of these situations. Hopefully you'll have what you need soon enough.
Government bureaucracy can make you crazy, it has made me so. It never ends either.