Mark Less Expensive Christmas Presents from "Santa" - To Parents

You know, some families do not have the money to provide their children with a lot for Christmas. So, their children end up going to school and hearing that their classmates received iPhones, Gaming Consoles, and other expensive presents from "Santa" when they only got a pair of mittens, a hat, and maybe some candy in their stocking from "Santa". I think it would be better for the children if parents marked the more expensive toys and such from them (Mom and Dad), and mark smaller, cheaper items from "Santa". That way, the children are not confused why "Santa" gave all of his or her classmates really nice things but not them. Is this something you feel that parents should keep in mind around the Holidays as well?
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
All of my kids' gifts are from Santa, none of it is from mom and dad. By the time they're 10 they all know the truth about Santa anyway.. and I don't think the jealousy really starts till after that. We've never had a lot of money and I don't remember my kids ever getting jealous of another child's toys when they were young. My twins who are now teenagers are jealous of the stuff their friends have now, but they weren't jealous when they were younger.
@katsmeow1213 My oldest daughter is 10 and she still believes in Santa. She's not jealous per se of other kids gifts but when her cousins got a 4 wheeler and a laptop and my children got coloring books/dolls and stuff like that it did make them feel like they are "less than" in Santa's eyes. So I told them Santa brings toys according to the parents budget because we pay Santa for what he brings. (Had to think of something quick at the time). Some children do end up feeling less than and that's sad...
@katsmeow1213 As @LovingMyBabies explained, it's not really about "jealousy" exactly... it's just that a lot of times the smaller kids do see that other children are getting really cool, expensive things from "Santa" these days when they are getting smaller, cheaper items (perhaps things they can actually use like socks and clothes) and they don't understand why "Santa" didn't think enough of them to get them the big expensive things. It could make them feel like maybe they were not good enough, or "Santa" likes the other children better.
@Angelee_27 It is exactly jealousy. It's really up to the style of parenting I guess... if I were so broke that all my kids were getting were hats and gloves, I'd probably break the news to them that there is no santa to avoid those hurt feelings. But with mine I always tried to make sure their Christmas was the same as everyone else's. They got used electronics and video games to make it more affordable. All of my kids knew the truth about santa by the time they were 8.. and they figured it out from friends at school or just by their own logic. My youngest is 7 now and is questioning things... I"m guessing this is his last year believing. Well the sooner they find out, the better. it's too hard to keep things secret these days!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
It would be nice if that happened but the legend is usually about Santa bringing the really cool gifts.
True, but "Santa" cannot always give the really cool gifts.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Angelee_27 He did/does in our household. Parents give gifts like clothes and such and Santa brings everything else.
That is a good idea. I am not sure it will catch on.
@zebra2222 (5195)
You offer up a very wise suggestion.
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
That is a good idea but not one I see parents taking on. They've probably gone on and on about how they just can't afford such-and-such item so getting it from Santa seems more logical. When my kids were younger and all their friends had all these gadgets and televisions in their rooms, etc., my kids considered them spoiled. They didn't complain that they didn't have them.
I completely agree with your idea. I told my children that what Santa brings parents have to pay for because they only got smaller things while their cousins got a 4 wheeler, a tablet and a laptop! My kids felt like they weren't very important in Santa's eyes. That broke my heart! Once I told them it goes by what we can pay for they were okay with it because they know we are a poor family, that's not a shock to them. Now they realize their just as important to Santa as everyone else.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
You know that is a really good point. I think that is a fantastic idea. But then some kids would want to know why they ask Santa for all of this and it was their parents who gave it to them. I basically left one gift unwrapped under our tree and this was what Santa brought. I never really consider a lot of it. One time it was this really funny looking blow up robot that had wheels and ran on batteries. She loved it and it was special to her. I don't think Santa has to leave a lot and one gift is enough in my books.