Do You Take Trips Down Memory Lane?

"Memories...light the corners of my mind." That's a line from one of my favorite songs, "The Way We Were." We all have memories, some good, some bad. "Scattered pictures" are also mentioned in that song. Looking at old pictures brings those memories back into focus, making us laugh and sometimes cry. When I look back over the years, I am amazed at all the things that I do remember. Clear back to when I was just three or four years old. I remember when a young boy drowned. It is such a vivid memory that I remember exactly how I felt and I was only four years old when it happened. I remember that I was sad and I asked my father, "what will his mother do without him, now?" When I see pictures that were taken that day at the river, I always think about that little boy who drowned. What are the earliest memories that you can remember?
I remember a lot from my childhood too, and coincidentally I remember a little boy drowning. I'll never forget seeing him pulled out of the river. I'd have been about 6.
I guess something that traumatic is difficult to forget. It leaves a deep imprint in our mind. Most of my childhood memories are good. I feel that I had a wonderful childhood for the most part and I'm thankful for that.
@IreneVincent Oh yes I had a great childhood too.
@jaboUK That's a good thing. So many kids grow up in unhappy circumstances and even dire conditions sometimes. It's sad.
@patgalca (13801)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I've mentioned before that I don't remember much before the age of nine. I think it is important to take trips down memory lane in order to retain those memories. There are some things I don't want to have forgotten when I'm elderly and losing my memory so I think revisiting the occasions whether in my mind, on paper or with others, will keep the memories fresh.
Yes, I agree. That's why I've been looking at my photo albums lately with my grandchildren. I've been telling them some stories about my childhood. Even my youngest son. I was 34 when he was born, so I was 40 years old by the time he was 6 years old and has any solid memories of me. Forty years of my life he knew nothing about. So, I've told him lots of stories from those forty years and he has seen pictures also. Some of the things I've told him just amazes him. Like not having a TV until I was a teenager and no access to the Internet of course. So primitive, he just can't even imagine what my life was like and how I endured some of the things that happened.
@patgalca (13801)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@IreneVincent My kids prefer hearing stories about THEM when they were little, rather than me.
@UncleJoe (7167)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have a vivid memory of my childhood. Just don't asked me what I did yesterday!
I can understand that. I have a difficult time remembering where I put my car keys. I'm getting better about that since my son put up this little key holder for me. I really try now to hang up my keys as soon as I come in the door. Where did you grow up Uncle Joe?