Visiting the dead.

@xFiacre (7601)
Ireland
It happens every time that I go to visit the dead. There they are laid out in the open coffin in the living room; after commenting on how peaceful they look, and how like themselves they are, and how good a job the undertaker has done, I sink into an armchair facing the coffin, just level with the top of it and all I can see of the deceased is his nose poking up above the wood. It really is hard to maintain a straight, mournful expression when presented with such a comical sight. That's what happened tonight again. We talked about what a nice coffin the man was in and lamented in all seriousness how he would have loved it if he could have seen it himself, and how pleased he would have been about the way the undertaker had him laid out, and about how he would have loved the sandwiches that were piled high on the kitchen table - he always loved a cup of tea and a ham sandwich at supper time. But you know something - these people are the ones who recover most ably from bereavement with all the ridiculous things they say whereas I am so proper and sensible that I'll be a right mess when my turn comes to mourn.
@boiboing (11281)
• Northampton, England
I have never been to a viewing like this.
@xFiacre (7601)
@boiboing we still do the full works. It's exhausting but therapeutic.
But you can learn from these people when you're so often in the same situation!
@xFiacre (7601)
@maluse Indeed I have learned a lot from them.
I don't think we lay out coffins in living rooms here. And if I could see their nose sticking up, I'd have to squish down in my chair.
When it comes your turn you will have a right to morn any way you wish. Within reason of course. We all grieve in our own way. And I hope that when I die there will be some one at my wake that has enough sense to think it is a bit comical.