My Mulberry Tree

@fishtiger58 (30320)
Momence, Illinois
Commonwealth Edison is my electric company. Periodically they go through the neighborhoods looking at trees that need to be cut away from the electric lines. A bit over a year ago they decided my mulberry tree had to go. It was leaning way into the wires and they way they wanted to cut it, it would have looked terrible. I have seen many homeowners trying to save their trees only to have them completely masqueraded by the electric company or the tree service they hire to cut trees. We were given the option of keeping the wood or having them haul it away. Since my husband has a wood burning stove in the barn we opted to keep the wood. The wood guys were kind enough to cut the logs into pieces we could pick up. NOT. I was amazed when they cut it down, how even the smallest pieces we could hardly pick up. Are you aware of how much water a Mulberry Tree retains in it's trunk??? Well let me tell you, it's an enormous amount. The pieces have been sitting in my back yard for just over a year. A few days ago we borrowed my nephew's log splitter and for 2 solid days we split that Mulberry Tree into burnable pieces. Beautiful wood inside a Mulberry Tree. Bright yellow, matter of fact the more water in the wood the deeper the yellow. As it dries it has more of a pastel yellow color. Our pile is about 3 feet wide by 8 feet high. Should last a while
Oh what a shame that a living tree has to die because of electric lines, I wish they'd find a different way to handle the problem but I guess they're too lazy.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I have seen so many trees looking just awful because of the way they cut them. There should be a better way.
I agree @fishtiger58 but too often utility company's are only interested in the easiest way to get their product to the consumer so they don't bother considering the life of a tree .... you did know I'm a tree hugger, right?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann no I didn't but I am a nature buff as well, I didn't want the tree to come down but sadly it was dying and leaning so down it came.
It's good that you've got free fuel, but that was a lot of work for you. Why can't you put your picture up?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@jaboUK I don't know why I can't put my picture up it loads then when the post comes up it's not there. I am pretty frustrated about it. Earlier I was able to load 2 photos.
@fishtiger58 Perhaps it was the wrong size?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@jaboUK is there a wrong size as I see nothing on this site that would suggest my pics are too big. Now that I'm asking questions, how do I message someone like technical support when I don't follow them. So confusing.
@simone10 (21648)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I had no idea that a mulberry tree absorbed so much water. At least now you have enough wood to last a long time.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I was stunned by how much water was in that tree.
@simone10 (21648)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@fishtiger58 I bet you were. I would have expected sap but not water.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@simone10 I guess that's how trees survive in a drought.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
Wow that is a lot of wood and must have been a very large tree. I hate to see it when people cut down trees like this. it's a shame to loose such a beautiful tree.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@poehere yes but it was dying anyway so it didn't hurt as badly as it could have.
@poehere (17680)
• French Polynesia
@fishtiger58 Well in hat case maybe it was a good idea to cut it down. It is a shame when old trees finally start dying.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@poehere it is I like all the many trees around my house but when they are dying it's time to cut them down before they fall down and hurt somebody or something,
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
This must have been quite a large tree to yield that quantity of wood.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum it was at least 30 feet tall. Took a long time to split
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
@fishtiger58 That would be quite a task for the tree fellers as well because with electricity lines around they would have to trim it down from the top bit by bit.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum yes they tied ropes around some of the limbs to keep them from falling on the wires as they cut them. It was quite a show.
@PainsOnSlate (20410)
I used to help my Dad and brother split wood for the wood stoves used in the winter. That machine is amazing! That's one huge pile of wood too. My brother heated with wood for years but now uses gas, his wood shed is huge - open on the sides but covered with a roof.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@PainsOnSlate We just use it for his stove in the barn, so we don't have a wood shed. We sometimes take our wood camping but these days many states don't want you transporting wood because of the bugs you can bring in the wood. I think there are several different kinds of bugs ruining trees.
@fishtiger58 Where we camp you can bring your wood if it comes from a certain area and my sister is in that area. We bring a half full van for two weeks from my brothers shed and some that my sister had from an apple tree that blew down..
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@PainsOnSlate I think we can transport Mulberry wood however I have to check and see about that.
@cindiowens (3856)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
It will be ashes in no time.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@cindiowens yup it will hubby has been steady burning it.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@fishtiger58 I have never smelled mulberry burning, does it have a pleasant odor?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@cindiowens it's not to bad, but cedar is better
@inertia4 (27713)
Sad for the tree but lucky for you with all that wood. Here the electric company could care less about cutting trees away from electric lines. We have ConEdison here. And they are way over priced also.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
They all are. Wish I didn't need them but I do.
@inertia4 (27713)
@fishtiger58 I know what you mean. I need then also. Unfortunately. I wish energy was free. That bill, my electric bill is the most expensive one I have every month.
What does Mulberry wood smell like?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@FibroGodess I'm not sure I will have to check that out.
@marijuana (576)
• Tel Aviv, Israel
oh that should have been bearing yummy berries! It's a pity, now you have to watch it burn slowly..
@BellaDoc (774)
• San Diego, California
That's a lot of wood!
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@BellaDoc yes it is and I'm so happy it's finally all split.
@BellaDoc (774)
• San Diego, California
@fishtiger58 It took you so long to split - you must be sore!
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@BellaDoc I was but better now thankfully
You will now have all kinds of firewood for your wood burning stove.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
I think it will probably last for years.
Good that you kept the wood for your barn.
@cacay1 (33198)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Never seen a mulberry tree in real only in picture.At least it gives nice wood.They might also good for furniture.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
of that I'm unsure,could be good for furniture
Utility workers do not make good foresters. I am glad you could make use of the wood. Does it burn well?
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@GardenGerty once it dried it did it was so wet it's still a bit wet over a year later. It helped to get it split into smaller pieces.