Have you ever wondered how far we have gone below ground?

Banks, Oregon
I know I have always wondered what is down there and, turns out a lot of very cool things, you can find Gold, Silver, Coal and, all kinds of other minerals, there is even Diamonds down there, but we cant get to those because it's far to hot, when I say hot. I mean as hot as the surface of the sun 7,000 degrees Fahrenheit. A human being has only been about 2.5 miles down, that's the deepest mine ever dug in South Africa, a gold mine of course. I think they said it gets about 140 degrees at that distance, but they have some kind of air system, which cools it to about 80 degrees, they also deal with a lot of pressure at that point, the farthest we have ever drilled is 7,500 miles. Did you ever did a deep hole, looking for Gold when you were a kid? We went down about 6 ft and got scared of getting buried or not being able to get out, coolest thing we found was a old Tonka Truck lol.
@Inlemay (16729)
• South Africa
the deepest Gold Mine is Western Deep Mponeng which is mined to 2,800m-3,900m - that is near to us here in SA - the deepest in the world - and I believe that Eight of the top 10 are in South Africa.
@T_gray (7807)
• Salina, Kansas
I don't think I ever dug holes...hehe. But I loved going to caves with my dad. and speaking of diamonds. there's this place in Arkansas were you can go out in the fields and dig for diamonds. They give you all the equipment and everything. Its really cool. The chances of you finding a diamond are really slim, but you can find other really cool rocks in the process....hehe. have you heard of this??
Wow that's awesome. I would love to dig for Diamonds and, no I haven't heard of it, at least not there, you should go they are worth a lot, plus pretty lol.
Also that's cool about going to caves with your dad. I have always wanted to do that too.
@T_gray (7807)
• Salina, Kansas
@TRBRocks420 I haven't been to a cave in a long time. I'd love to go again. I'm going to have to look to see where the closest ones are. I think there are some in Arkansas and Missouri
@VivaLaDani13 (21559)
• Perth, Australia
@TRBRocks420 When I was little, I would dig up the backyard as much as I could lol I dug it really deep one time that I almost had trouble getting back out. But mum and dad kept filling it back up again. I attempted this in 3 different houses that we lived at. I did find a few things. Nothing that was worth a lot though but it was still a lot of fun!
Same here we used to love to dig holes. Grandpa always said if we dig far enough we would make it to China lol.
@garymarsh6 (14367)
I hope the tonka truck was in good condition. All that effort eh!
It was pretty rusty, when we found it, my Mom said it was probably hers from when she was a kid.
Finding a Tonka truck would be cool.