My Neighbour is poorly

United Kingdom
I have only lived in my house since July but when we moved in we met our Neighbour Carol next door and she is absolutely lovely. She is in her 70s but used to prune all our rose bushes for us and I caught her mowing our grass a few times. I told her not too of course but she enjoyed it in the summer. One day I got home and found a miniature sand pit that she had put together for him in the garden, then a bucket and spade appeared then a toy fire engine. She is just a really lovely sweet lady. Anyway I haven't seen her for a few weeks but considering how horrible the weather has been I wasn't surprised I just assumed she had beens staying out of the cold. With everything that's been going on with my other neighbour (see my previous posts) I thought I should check that she is ok and that he hasn't been bothering her. I knocked her door yesterday but got no answer. Today as I was leaving to take Vinnie to the doctors I saw her coming back from taking her bins out. I got out the car to say hello and check she was ok. She asked how I was and how Vinnie was and then she told me she has cancer. She said it is high grade Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Now I have heard of it before but I don't know anything about it. She said it is very treatable and that she is half way through Chemotherapy at the moment and that she is very tired. I told her off for not asking for help with the bins and told her to ask if she needs anything. I hate the thought of her struggling with bins and things like that. She isn't allowed to drive either at the moment which makes it worse. I really hope she is going to be ok as she is a really lovely lady and I know we haven't known her long but I would be gutted if anything happens to her. Do any of you have any experience of this illness ?
Some older people really don't want the help if it is something they know they can do themselves. (it's a "dignity" thing) Do something else nice for her, like bringing her a plate of a home cooked meal. Maybe knock on her door when you're going to the market and ask if she needs anything.
I think she is a bit like that she really does like to do everything herself. I was of knocking whenever I am going shopping to see if she needs anything I know she won't ask. That's a good idea about taking her some food. It's probably going to be quite tiring for her to be cooking x
@shellyjaneo I will pray for your wonderful neighbor and hope she will be well again. You can take a look at this link which I found because I don't know anything about this disease. › ... › Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma › Detailed Guide
@RasmaSandra Thank you for the info that is really sweet of you. I really hope she is going to be ok. x
I know of several who have had this and who have recovered. I wouldn't have thought 'high-grade' was good but I wouldn't know really. I do hope she recovers. It can be tough living on your own when you're not well.
I know I really do worry about her she wants to do everything herself and doesn't like to accept help. It is apparently treatable but I worry due to her age. Luckily she has her sons who she seems more willing to accept help from x
@PainsOnSlate (20659)
Not with that one but a super neighbor that we have was telling my husband about his pains and seeing his doctor, all of them to find out what was going on, Hubby said before I got home an ambulance had taken him away. He had a massive heart attack and the doctors missed the signs the week before. He is alive and home recovering thankfully. I'm glad you neighbor is being taken care of. Good neighbors are special.
I am glad your neighbour is recovering well these things are so scary x
No not actually that type of cancer BUT in my maternal side of the family there runs the high risk of both ovarian, colon and cervical cancers in which when I was younger, still experiencing a menses, I had to be quite careful of what I was eating-- certain foods will actually increase acidity or in my case estrogen (I am estrogen-dominant) and as many of us know, cancer likes acid conditions in the blood, bile and lymph fluids of our body. I found out in 2005 I had an ovarian cyst that was inconclusive to whether it was benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous) and without taking any chances knowing my markers from my mom, grandmothers and aunts, that the cyst needed to be starved and any cancer that could of manifested, be stopped in its tracks. I began an intense detoxifying, researching which foods could increase the alkalinity of my pH so acid conditions could be neutralized and took a 5-herb combination concoction for 4 months to finally burst the cyst, run its course out of system, and stay CANCER- FREE ! I am glad to say so far so good and no cancer . . . but then I have an internal eviction notice in my body that staves any disease off, I keep very healthy. Have a great day and I hope this helps your wonderful neighbor even if she already has had Chemotherapy introduced into her body and once that goes in, well I know from experience with my grandmother, it kills !
I have a book called optimum nutrition for the mind which I have been meaning to read properly as it is all about how eating the right foods and how certain high dose vitamins and minerals can work better than pharmaceuticals. I guess it is probably similar to what you do x
Kind of, I learned more about the bodies reaction to something called lectins found in all foods . . . it makes a whole lot of sense with what I keep studying what Dr. Peter D' Adamo, the blood type guy, suggests about balancing certain foods our blood type accepts NEST and rather than being strict about added supplements of vitamins, just practicing being smart using them . . . Have a fab day dear one @shellyjaneo
@enlightenedpsych2 This sounds really interesting I will have to look into it x
That's sad, I hope she gets through it ok. I've no experience of it myself.
Thank you, I hope so too x
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Hope she asks for help now and then
I will keep offering help even if she doesn't ask x
No experience with this illness but with plenty of others. So sad, I hope that she will be okay
I hope so too :( x
@hiru84 (956)
I haven't any experience of this illness.What a pity lady? You are a great person, because you have a kind heart.It is a good habit that help another.
Well I want to help but so far all I have managed to do it bring her bins in and that's because she couldn't stop me. I am going shopping today though so I will knock and see if she needs anything x
@Missmwngi (10792)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I can only pray that she gets through with the treatment and get well
I hope for that too x