When the Music Stopped

Daytona Beach, Florida
Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when the news of the murder of Beatle John Lennon came over the radio? I remember I was living in New York and it was a bitterly cold December morning. I was getting ready to go to university and the news reported that John Lennon had been killed by Mark David Chapman the night before on December 8, 1980. They then put on his latest song “Just Like Starting Over” and I had a terrible urge to start bawling. My mom had tears in her eyes too and so off the classes I went. What really makes me crazy is that this murderer is still alive and even though he is behind bars the point is that he can go on living. Lennon had a loving wife and a small son he loved a lot and he was denied to right to live by a madman. The saddest thing I read about was that when Lennon was brought to the hospital the doctor who was put in charge of him realized first of all who Lennon was and second that Lennon was not going to pull through. He had the hardest role of his life and he had to pull together and get through it. No sooner had he pronounced Lennon dead he said a woman in a fur coat came hurrying into the hospital. When she realized that there was no hope she just fell to the floor. The doctor then realized this was his widow Yoko Ono. The first thing that Ono did was request that the news of Lennon’s death not be announced until she had the time to tell their small son Sean. It is at these times that you wish to be anywhere else but and you realize what a tough job it really is to be a doctor. John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono were returning home from a transfer session at a recording studio in midtown Manhattan. It was shortly before 11 PM when they stepped out of a limo in front of their apartment house The Dakota on West 72nd Street. On the same spot where they now stood some six hours before Lennon had signed a copy of his newest album Double Fantasy for the young man who would now become his murderer. Mark David Chapman 25 years old at that time was in the shadows ready and waiting. Having done this terrible deed Chapman calmly stood at the site of the shooting reading “The Catcher in the Rye” when the police took him into custody. What did he say to the police? Chapman said, “I’m sure the large part of me is Holden Caulfield, who is the main person in the book. The small part of me must be the Devil.” Am I wrong to think this? If I had been there at that moment and heard what Chapman said I would have wanted to take a gun and blast him to kingdom come and let him answer to the Devil. Soon there was worldwide grief and many tributes to Lennon. A silent vigil on December 14 brought together about 10,000 people in Central Park which is right by The Dakota and tens of thousands of people in cities all over the world began to mourn. Chapman pled guilty and was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison. At this time Yoko Ono simply said that she tries not to think of Chapman and that it is really not so important as to who pulled the trigger what is important is that John is gone and that is what everyone has to live with. Another interesting thing is that I am a great believer in the world beyond and Lennon’s spirit has been seen in his apartment playing the piano there. I for one would love to sit quietly and listen to him play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-uIUIktWY
On this day in History, John Lennon is assassinated in New York City on Dec 08, 1980. Learn more about what happened today on History.
I do remember that I was driving to work.
• Preston, England
it was a shocking day - I woke to hear it on the news right before going to school that day when everyone just walked round looking shell shocked.
My niece was born exactly that day, so I do remember those 2 events very much.
@ElicBxn (60884)
I was sitting in a rent house in east Austin with my then roommate. We were watching TV when they broke in to tell us. It was 10:30ish our time. That night, the next, several others through the season had people gathering at the "Christmas Tree" with cassette players playing his music, lighting candles and gathering with fellow fans to mourn our loss. (I see they've renamed it a holiday tree, but in 1980 it was the Christmas tree.)
In 2012, the Zilker Tree is lit each evening from 6 p.m. to 12 midnight until December 31.