So Why Did You Ask?

@fishtiger58 (30337)
Momence, Illinois
I just read a post about babies and it brought to mind something funny that happened when my youngest son was only about 2 months old. My brother and his wife had their baby 29 days after my youngest was born. One day my sister in law called and asked me to come over as she was having trouble breastfeeding my niece. So off I went to give her some suggestions. This was her first and only child and I was an old hand at it since I have two sons. I get there and she tells me she can't seem to get my niece Jill to latch onto her breast. I asked her to show me how she does it. Are you all ready for this. She held Jill in an upright sitting position and tried to get her to latch on. I told her she was doing it wrong, to lay the baby under her breast and then Jill would be in the correct position to latch on. I had to excuse myself and go outside after what she said next. I didn't want to laugh in her face. She really wanted my help. She told me Jill didn't like it that way. I asked her did she tell you that??? Jill at that time was one month old. That's when I went outside lol.
@Drosophila (16705)
She didn't try other positions? See which is more comfortable?
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
She is a strange lady, I didn't ask her much.
@Drosophila (16705)
@fishtiger58 probably the best course of action!
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Drosophila yes I think so to.
• Preston, England
hope she got it right before the poor child matured enough to feed on solid food
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@arthurchappell I'm not sure if she went to bottles or kept trying. I was afraid I would start laughing all over again so I never asked.
• Preston, England
@fishtiger58 yes it was probably best to leave her to figure it out for herself
• Pleasant Hill, California
I dunno. Babies have ways of communicating what they like and don't like. What position finally worked best?
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse I don't know I was afraid to ask lol.
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I don't know how she managed to get home from the hospital without a thousand people trying to teach her lactation methods! Good thing you were there to steer her right.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Rollo1 I'm am surprised as well. Thankfully Jill didn't starve. She is now 23 but a skinny little thing.
Lol, that is funny! Sounds just like the grandma who says her grandson doesn't like the swing yet here he is loving it at my house.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@LovingMyBabies That's the baby post I read that reminded me of my story.
I don't have kids, but aren't the wee ones incapable of sitting like that without someone holding their head in place?
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
Yup and it's just not natural for a 1 month old to sit up and drink.
That's what I figured @fishtiger58 so she's a blonde? just kidding, everyone knows intellect has nothin to do with hair color.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann Oddly enough she was blonde. But definitely not the sharpest tack in the box.
@moondebi (1212)
• Bangalore, India
At first, it could be little confusing to get to the correct place, but gradually, the newborn and the new mother both both know where and how.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
You would think. But I don't think my sister in law ever got it.
We had pretty good lessons in hospital before we came home. I'm not surprised you had to go outside.
@Namelesss (1388)
LOL, must have been that secret baby language that only the mommy can interpret. You know the one. Where mommy says little Johnny hates kool aid but every time he's at your house he guzzles it down effortlessly.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Namelesss yea yea that language
@Platespinner (16772)
That's funny!
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Platespinner I thought so